Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

advice please

iron_matt-CB

my boy hit a car about 2 months back and didnt stop. the damage wasnt bad. he thought he had gotten away with it but got a voicemail from the insurance company recently asking for him to call because they were investigating an alleged hit an run. they described the location, the date and time. he already got his car fixed and is wondering what he should do. should he just ignore the phone calls? if he does what can they do? also why is the insurance co calling him and not the cops? kind of wierd. any ideas are appreciated.

i'd guess that the victim contacted the police and the ins peeps got the report and did some investigating.
i'd fess up, sooner the better sounds like he'll get pwned otherwise...bodyshop could get supoeaned and the damage caused to your son's car would be damning evidence.
felony for hit and run

I am a former attorney I would not admit to jack shit until you know exactly what is going on. Admit NOTHING. For all you know it is the people he hit on the other line and they are trying to get an admission of fault.

First, if there were an investigation I would expect the cops to call. If they haven't contacted you then something is up. I am not an insurance expert but without proof, like a police report, it is their word against yours. The other side can play it up too. I've seen people fake injuries, lie, all kinds of crazy shit. The last thing you want to be liable for is a hit and run that they claim caused thousands of dollars in damages.

Wait until the insurance company calls again. Talk to them. Get the name of the other party involved. Ask them how all of this happened. Ask why it was not reported earlier. I find it unusual that it took 2 months for this to happen.

There are other lawyers in here and maybe a few in insurance or cops. Maybe they can give you better advice than I can.

I am a former attorney I would not admit to jack shit until you know exactly what is going on. Admit NOTHING. For all you know it is the people he hit on the other line and they are trying to get an admission of fault.

First, if there were an investigation I would expect the cops to call. If they haven't contacted you then something is up. I am not an insurance expert but without proof, like a police report, it is their word against yours. The other side can play it up too. I've seen people fake injuries, lie, all kinds of crazy shit. The last thing you want to be liable for is a hit and run that they claim caused thousands of dollars in damages.

Wait until the insurance company calls again. Talk to them. Get the name of the other party involved. Ask them how all of this happened. Ask why it was not reported earlier. I find it unusual that it took 2 months for this to happen.

There are other lawyers in here and maybe a few in insurance or cops. Maybe they can give you better advice than I can.

only way the ins company found was from a filed police report...victim proly gave the plate number...and the lag in time seems reasonable to me, esp for a routine matter like this (esp since it'll be a civil deal and no felounious shit happened).

Last edited:
only way the ins company found was from a filed police report...victim proly gave the plate number...and the lag in time seems reasonable to me, esp for a routine matter like this (esp since it'll be a civil deal and no felounious shit happened.

That sounds likely.

I think the critical issue is how much damage was done. If it is a small amount (and I assume it was based on his first post) and the other side is not asking for much, I would settle it and move on.

One of my wife's friends tried to get hosed by a young punk who hit her in a parking lot. She didn't have witnesses and it wasn't her fault. The only thing that saved her was the kids story was outlandish and the kids own insurance company didn't believe him.

An easy way out of this is to just say he didn't think there was any damage so he left. Honest mistake. (Unless the damage was big lol) That happened to me. I was laying back in my car, a guy hit my door. He didn't see I was there. The damage was not that bad, he started to drive off, I got up, he saw me, and he was cool and handed me $200.

That sounds likely.

I think the critical issue is how much damage was done. If it is a small amount (and I assume it was based on his first post) and the other side is not asking for much, I would settle it and move on.

One of my wife's friends tried to get hosed by a young punk who hit her in a parking lot. She didn't have witnesses and it wasn't her fault. The only thing that saved her was the kids story was outlandish and the kids own insurance company didn't believe him.

An easy way out of this is to just say he didn't think there was any damage so he left. Honest mistake. (Unless the damage was big lol) That happened to me. I was laying back in my car, a guy hit my door. He didn't see I was there. The damage was not that bad, he started to drive off, I got up, he saw me, and he was cool and handed me $200.

well there wasnt much damage to his car at all, but he is not 100% sure of the damage to the other car. if this insurance guy calls again and he just says hey if there is any questions here i want an attorney present" what can they really do? i mean are the cops gonna get a warrant for his arrest? or will the victim jus have to deal with it? im assuming there werent any injuries or i would think the cops would alredy be calling him. but again you never can be too cautios and the last thing i would want him to do is try talking his way out of it with an insurance guy and then having that guy telling the cops about the conversation they had.

well there wasnt much damage to his car at all, but he is not 100% sure of the damage to the other car. if this insurance guy calls again and he just says hey if there is any questions here i want an attorney present" what can they really do? i mean are the cops gonna get a warrant for his arrest? or will the victim jus have to deal with it? im assuming there werent any injuries or i would think the cops would alredy be calling him. but again you never can be too cautios and the last thing i would want him to do is try talking his way out of it with an insurance guy and then having that guy telling the cops about the conversation they had.

Wait until the company calls again and get specific details on everything.

If you can affored it get an attorney.

Top Bottom