Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

ACCUTANE - How long does it take???

jww13

I recently started taking Accutane about 3 weeks ago and using some prescription face-wash (all from dermatologist of course), and I was wondering how long it takes to clear away most of the acne? (it's mostly my face, just a LITTLE on my back/shoulders). I'm taking the 40mg (strongest) in case you know anything about it.

Owell I'm just hoping it goes away soon cause I'm 16 and I've had it since 14 and it hasn't gone away after using Tetracycline and other prescription face washes. I'm just hoping Accutane will actually work. The only thing I see happening is that it causes my face to peel which pisses me off.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It all depends on the extent of the acne in the first place. Usually the individual is on accutane anywhere from 4-6 months, or more, depending on the severity of the acne.

I only had moderate acne (it's nowhere NEAR severe as the ones in the pamplet thing, but it is kinda bad). 4 months is so long :/

It sucks cause it lowers my confidence and crap :/ Owell I guess I'll just have to wait it out and hopefully get some muscle on me in the meantime :D

Yeah 4-6 months is a full coarse on full dose...

Although if you do go through with it.. some good news is that 80% of people are cured after that, 90% cured after anymore cycles..by cured i mean no more acne for life.

Accutane works from the inside out, so it takes some time. Fortunately, it DOES work. Have patience. For a little while, it might seem to get worse before it gets better. This is because, like I said, it works from the inside out. Zits that were already "under construction" deep in your skin before you started the medicine will start coming out - all faster now because the Accutane is pushing them out, so to speak. Don't panic, it's doing what it's supposed to, exorcising the zits from your body!

A few months into your treatment, you might think you're cured. Don't stop taking Accutane until the doctor says so. You have to do the complete cycle (usu @ 5 months) to completely get them out of the body.

Accutane can have some side effects, like really really dry itchy skin and cracked lips. This is normal. Use moisturizer and lip balm. Hang in there.

FitFossile (or anyone else w/ experience w/ accutane),

I've been on it for a little over 3 weeks and I guess I can see an improvement (friends/family say it looks much better but I can't tell too much). Anyways just recently (like 2 days ago) I started getting little bumps on most of my face, even where it used to be clear. They're not red or anything, barely noticable I guess, but it just feels rough and bumpy when I feel my face now.

Is this normal? Have you heard anything about it? These bumps I'm talking about, they're not zits or anything, just little bumps over most of my face. I guess I'll ask my dermatologist when I go in next week.

ask the dermatologist about a face cream called retin a micro. it is basicly a topical (tretinion)vitamin a cream. all accutane is tretinoin. if you use the cream and an anti biotic at the same time it will clear because the antibiotic will kill the bacteria from the inside out and the cream will cause increased mititic anctivity of the epithelial cells on your face and your pores will be bacteria free and dead skin cell free. i had severe nodular acne before and now i am semi clear but my antibiotic is not working because i have been taking the same mg dosage for three months and i am immune. i called the dermatologist to schedule a follow up appiontment but she was booked for three months and i only have 1 month left of both medicines. this will suck.

jww13 said:
FitFossile (or anyone else w/ experience w/ accutane),

I've been on it for a little over 3 weeks and I guess I can see an improvement (friends/family say it looks much better but I can't tell too much). Anyways just recently (like 2 days ago) I started getting little bumps on most of my face, even where it used to be clear. They're not red or anything, barely noticable I guess, but it just feels rough and bumpy when I feel my face now.

Is this normal? Have you heard anything about it? These bumps I'm talking about, they're not zits or anything, just little bumps over most of my face. I guess I'll ask my dermatologist when I go in next week.

It was a long time ago when I took Accutane. Such bumps as you describe, I don't remember if I got anything like that or not. I did go through a period like I said, where I started breaking out more before getting better though. Maybe that's what this is. Or it could be dry skin, which is definitely a side effect of Accutane. Ask your derm to be sure.

FitFossil:

I went to see my dermatologist today and he said the bumps appeared because the Accutane was forcing everything to the surface of my skin. He said they should go away within 6 weeks.

I've been on Accutane for 25 days so do you think I'm safe from it getting worse? I'm pretty sure it has gotten better since I started, so maybe I already went through that stage.

jww13,

Like I said, it was a long time ago when I took Accutane. I don't know if you won't have another bad spell. If you do, it shouldn't be much of anything. From your derm, it sounds like things are progressing well.

Top Bottom