Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

25 5th/6th grade girls.....#%*@^%#!!!!

trimtan1

Just finished my fifth practice with my 5th/6th grade girls, of which one is my daughter. I've got one month before our first tournament.

So far we've covered dribbling (suicides,with emphasis on keeping your head up and using opposite hand), passing (chest, bounce, and sideways/pivot passing), layups, which is very important at this age and can mean a difference of 8-10 points/game. We've also worked on a basic pick and roll.

We know the 2-3 sagging zone defense, and we're working on a simplified "flex" offense with a point, two wings, and a high and low post, just having the point pass to a wing, and then cutting to the basket and replacing the opposite wing, which slides to the point. I've got a high and low post, just moving parallel to the baseline/FT line trying to get position. I'm trying to keep it as SIMPLE as possible. I have girls that seem to be getting most of it, and I have others that you can tell are already lost.

Will work on the shell drill shortly to teach man2man, and then I have to teach them to MOVE and work on screening to the weak side. Hope to get them to be able to also perform a halfcourt 3-2 trap that should be devastating on most offenses at this age if I can get them to hustle and protect the sideline at the same time.

The dilemma I'm already beginning to face is ........playing time. I want to see the girls who are working hard getting the rewards of winning, but I also have to remember that alot of this at this age, is about getting a chance to play and having fun too. I'll have to take this one as it goes and hope for the best.

Does it appear to you that my training schedule is in order at this time? I want them to be prepared and would be willing to consider any advice.

Thanks bros.

This is why in my other post I said I couldn't do this...my suggestion if your daughter is interested you put into Club sports. therefore she can be around others who are serious about playing and becomming good, and as she gets a few more years older winning and then if she sticks around a bit longer she'll be in it for scholarships

I used to play when i was in 5th n 6th. i Loved it! We were 20 and 0 for 2 yrs :) we got to go the state tournament also, it was great:) good luck

Top Bottom