Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

**HIP HOP FANATICS**--Take MY Hip Hop Test Inside

havoc

Shaolin Ninja
Alright, this is a quiz to see if you know what YOU should know about actual and true "Hip Hop". It will let me know your defenition of hip hop and whether or not YOU mix this definition up with R & B which is rap and bullshit. For some it should be easy, others might not have a clue. Lets begin!

Section A
Place the correct letter by the Artist or Groups name. The answer is a "well known" lyric from the MC.

Nas
Jeru the Damaja
DEL
Q Tip from Tribe
Gangstarr
Lyrics in no particular order
A.Turbulence ten fold , never sinful
B.Give me a smith and wesson and I'll have niggas undressing
C. Now the only shorts I take are the ones that I wear , aint taking no shorts no more.
D. Maybe your soul you would sell to have Mass appeal
E. You don't know enough math to count the mics that I've ripped

Alright match them up then proceed.

Section B
Short Answer
1. Name 2 groups associated with the Boot Camp Click
2. In Common Sense's song "I used to love her", what or who is "her"?
3. This artist is one of the few to receive a 5 microphone rating in the Source declaring that particular album a hip hop classic, songs include "Lifes a bitch" and "one love".
4. Name 2 hip hop acts that play there own music.
5. Which rap duo sings "Shook ones"?
6. He is a Wu Tang member, also know as the "abbot".
7. An eccentric character with hits such as "Just a friend" who also collaborates with the Beasties on many occasions.
8. This 3 some crew brought us to "Pacific Heights".
9. Probably one of the best verses ever in a song , excerpt: My perception of poetical injection is ejaculation, the immaculate conception. Groups initials are O.A., who sang this verse?
10. What futuristic frontiersman sang the ballad "My Umi says"?

Section C
Write a quick one liner. Heres mine:
I'm a soldier of fortune, lost in the madness
Brandish your weapon or get dropped to the canvas

Section D
Write a rhyme about one of the following: Waterfalls, A cold fan blowing, your favorite shoes, a mullet, a ninja, a fanny pack, a stick of gum, Osama Bin Laden, your 1st tricycle.
Heres mine about a fanny pack:
If you lack when you pack
Stacks cant be stacked
Luggage is full
No one has your back
Your in a bad situation
Man fuck that
Time to invest in a fanny pack
Get the blue with the white
To match my hat
Put it on my waist or the small of my back
Can do anything
Even run track
Why motherfucker
Cause I got a fanny pack.

Secton E
Bonus Question:

1. Name the group from the west coast that sang the songs "mix tapes" and "bus stops".
2. On De La Souls second album "De La Soul is Dead" what are they talking about in the song "Millie Pulled a pistol on Santa"?

Thanks for taking this test.

Last edited:
I have a challenge for YOU havoc.

If you can answer these two easy questions, then you are CERTIFIED to ask questions about Hip-Hop.

1) What is the difference between Hip-Hop and Rap?

2) Name three tenants of Hip Hop? (Everyone has their own definition, but there are basic tenants/principles):fro:

This is not meant in malice. It's just a friendly challenge, bro! I'm still working on your q's. So, don't :nighty: on me, dog.

Holler at your boy!!!

1. Hip Hop vs. Rap
This seems to be the most argued about point in Hip-Hop today. What exactly *is* the difference between Hip-Hop and Rap and where do the two merge. The answer is far from clear and is open to various peoples interpretation due to two major factors, these are:

Hip-Hop as a "culture"

Many People see the term "Hip-Hop" as a culture or a way of life that started from the roots of activities such as Graffiti, Break-dancing and block-parties in NYC.

Whilst this is true, the 'Hip-Hop Culture' should not be confused with Hip-Hop music. An R'n'B record may be covered with Hip-Hop culture but isn't necessarily Hip-Hop music. Likewise, a Chinese rapper may bring out a Hip-Hop record without actually originating from Hip-Hop culture. Hip Hop culture should not be confused with the music, however the two frequently exist together and the culture still plays an important part of the music we hear today.

Hip-Hop Music

Originally Hip-Hop music developed containing essentially three ingredients, these being Breaks, Beats and Scratches. This has evolved over the years, for example Breaks used to be snippets of James Brown records and short soul samples - this has changed to people like Parliament and Funkadelic, and the previous short samples have been replaced by major chunks of the original song mixed into the new record. Scratches have been almost totally removed due to the demise of the DJ in Hip-Hop records. This may have more to do with rappers realizing that they can do without a DJ in most cases and still make the same money. Beats however have not changed dramatically and therefore are the heart of Hip-Hop music. A real Hip-Hop beat is difficult to describe but is usually slightly offbeat with a rolling, slightly "Jerky" feel to it (an expert on rhythm arrangements could probably give a more technical description). The best way to find out a true Hip-Hop beat is to listen to records such as BDP's "Criminal Minded", early Schooly D records along with early Run-DMC and Eric B & Rakim's "Paid in Full".

Rap Music

Rap can be roughly defined as words spoken rhythmically. In modern days it can be added that these words are spoken over a beat. With it's origins in Africa it should be understood that Rap has been around a lot longer than Hip-Hop's seventeen years. A rapper may rap over a soul-backing track, or even a heavy metal rock track but this could not be Hip-Hop music. The artist may have originated through Hip-Hop culture but the music he is making is Soul/Rap or Rock/Rap fusion, NOT Hip-Hop. For a record to be a Hip-Hop record it would need to be primarily Hip-Hop beats.

Having said that, A Hip-Hop artist will rarely make every track using Hip-Hop beats (this is one thing that has changed over the years). Artists like LL Cool J will make an album with a half-and-half mixture of R'n'B and Hip-Hop, although he is regarded as a Hip-Hop artist. A few rappers still stay true to the Hip-Hop game, such as KRS-One, but he is in the minority. A new problem are the emergence of Rappers who rap over breaks and beats and whilst it could be argued that the records are Hip-Hop, the beats are not as complex as Hip-Hop beats used to be. Whether you consider an artist as a Hip-Hop artist or simply a rapper is open to personal tastes but essentially the artist needs to use Hip-Hop beats frequently in order to be truly considered Hip-Hop.

Summary

A Hip-Hop record does not need to contain any rapping at all, and likewise a rap record may not contain any Hip-Hop beats. Chart Rappers, Rock/Rap fusion and some Gangsta rappers should not be confused with genuine Hip-Hop rappers such as KRS-One. We should also not confuse Hip-Hop culture with the music - it often goes hand in hand but frequently does not, especially with the emergence of music such as Swingbeat.

2. Hip Hop principles that spring to mind instantly are MCing (Rapping), DJing, Writing (Aerosol Art), B-Boying / B-Girling (Breaking). Hip hop is also a way of life expressed through things like your walk, disposition, verbage even the way you analyze whatever need analyzing. You can't just one day up and say I like hip hop, hip hop has to be experienced. To me its a true, earthy, real as fuck type feeling.. Hip Hop is the truth in many ways. peace

ohhhhhh shit! did you cut and paste? :D good answers. i'm kinda too old to be using anything but black urban vernacular. good answers though. i'm still working on yours. i know most of them. i just don't sit around memorizing lyrics too much.

Take your time brother, I cut and pasted the first answer because its exactly what I would have said just laid out with some orginization. peace

Nas- B from Ny state of mind, off the illmatic album. I don't kno what happened to Nas after that album. Everyone seems toget worse and worse.
Jeru the Damaja- E
DEL- D
Q Tip from Tribe- C
Gangstarr- A
A.Turbulence ten fold , never sinful
B.Give me a smith and wesson and I'll have niggas undressing
C. Now the only shorts I take are the ones that I wear , aint taking no shorts no more.
D. Maybe your soul you would sell to have Mass appeal
E. You don't know enough math to count the mics that I've ripped

I'm only positive about B, E, C. The other 2 were an educated guess.

Section B
Short Answer
1. Name 2 groups associated with the Boot Camp Click
2. In Common Sense's song "I used to love her", what or who is "her"? Hip-hop.
3. This artist is one of the few to receive a 5 microphone rating in the Source declaring that particular album a hip hop classic, songs include "Lifes a bitch" and "one love". Nas- Illmatic
4. Name 2 hip hop acts that play there own music. not sure what you're asking here.
5. Which rap duo sings "Shook ones"? Mobb Deep.
6. He is a Wu Tang member, also know as the "abbot". RZA
7. An eccentric character with hits such as "Just a friend" who also collaborates with the Beasties on many occasions. Biz Markie?
8. This 3 some crew brought us to "Pacific Heights". Pep Love, I hate him.
9. Probably one of the best verses ever in a song , excerpt: My perception of poetical injection is ejaculation, the immaculate conception. Groups initials are O.A., who sang this verse? Not sure.
10. What futuristic frontiersman sang the ballad "My Umi says"? Mos Def, the bambino of hip hop.

Section C
Write a quick one liner. Heres mine:
I'm a soldier of fortune, lost in the madness
Brandish your weapon or get dropped to the canvas

your style's not impetuous nor is it impregnable
your weak attempt attempt to emulate canibus
is fetile and unsustainable
i suggest you write a new rhyme
before ll cool j provides the knockout
and this time it'll leave you brandished
who you tryin' to play
your shit is outlandish.

Section D
Write a rhyme about one of the following: Waterfalls, A cold fan blowing, your favorite shoes, a mullet, a ninja, a fanny pack, a stick of gum, Osama Bin Laden, your 1st tricycle.
Heres mine about a fanny pack:
If you lack when you pack
Stacks cant be stacked
Luggage is full
No one has your back
Your in a bad situation
Man fuck that
Time to invest in a fanny pack
Get the blue with the white
To match my hat
Put it on my waist or the small of my back
Can do anything
Even run track
Why motherfucker
Cause I got a fanny pack.

I don't write rhymes, obviously you can tell that from my previous attempt. I'm just playin around. No need to embarass myself and try and go 2 for 2.

Secton E
Bonus Question:

1. Name the group from the west coast that sang the songs "mix tapes" and "bus stops". The nounce.
2. On De La Souls second album "De La Soul is Dead" what are they talking about in the song "Millie Pulled a pistol on Santa"?
Not sure. My guess would be that they're talking about millie vanilli being as relastic as santa claus but thats prob wrong.

There you go.

Thanks for taking this test. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'll post answers later, Flickenu, you did good. I'm on a time limit right now, gotta go, be back though. peace

Top Bottom