Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

whey before bed ?? w/skimmilk to slow absorption

missyd143

hey guys i bought optimum nutrition 100% whey and is wondering that since before bed slower releasing proteins are better i found out 6-carbs of skim milk added to it is same as metrx protein plus blend..(or anyy caesin blend) any think whey before bed can store as fat? or be anticatobolic or is it just overlaa prtoein and caloreie intake which determines this...anyone agree with me on the skim milk..or half package leaan body(12carbs) before bed....in met rx prot. plus there is 7 carbs 4 sugars..thats about the same as 12 carbs 1 suagr i think causr carbs and sugar are the same,

thanks ,,,can someone help?

optimun is great ..anyone agree,,,does anyone think met rx protein plus is better

Why not just use their diet protein? It is a blend.

A little skim milk is unlikely to have much effect on slowing the absorption of whey.

W6

Im not a big fan of drinking a shake before bed....I personally think eating some real food would be better for you, a good clean source of protein. Whey shakes increase insulin right, and why would you want to do that right before bed..unless you are not worried about gaining or losing. Before my first show I was having shakes before bed....was told no by a very intelligent dr. and I cut them out..and I started dropping again. I guess it all depends on what your goals are etc.

Agree w/New@ on the food thing. Whole food is the best way to go if you want a slow release of essential AAs throughout the night. Pure whey will spike your insulin, then you go hypoglycemic in an hour or so and crave carbs. Plus, the AAs in the blood will be gone by then as well.

You want something that empties slow from the stomach and takes time to digest. Can't beat whole food.

W6

I eat cottage cheese before bed. About a cup. No fat, 5g carbs, 32g of slow digesting protein. Seems to work for me.

As long as you are not eating over your maintenance calories, you will not have to worry about gaining much fat. However, stable insulin and blood sugar levels will help promote a fat burning environment better than that of when they are elevated. This makes since right? Now, in favor of this stable insulin/blood sugar environment, you want to pick foods that will have a lower GI, along with a low insulin spike. There are numerous foods that will do this:

Proteins: Any kind of meat, cottage cheese, casein in general (not in milk), Peanut Butter, etc....

CARBS: Any of the carbs that have a GI below 55-60 should be adequate. Remember though, that the GI may change with the addition of other macronutrients and antinutrients...etc....

Fats: Peanut butter, Flax oil, canola oil, avocado, etc......

I know you frequent the diet board, and knowing this, I know you seen the post (actually 2, of which one was yours if I remember right) that we discussed how milk has a low GI but new research is showing that it still illicits a HUGE insulin spike. It even raises the insulin spike of bread when taken in conjunction with it.

My advice is if you do not want the insulin spike correlated with drinking milk (whey may even increase this) then you might want to pick another source. The addition of certain oils may be able to lower the insulin response, but this is unkno9wn at this time of how much (I would have ythought the casein and lactose and lactic acid would have helped with lowering the insulin spike, but they didn't). Also some kind of soluble fiber will also help lower the GI, and hopefully the insulin spike. All in all, this may not matter if your calories are debited. Since its been a while that I posted here on the women's board, here is the study I am referring to: http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/74/1/96

Hope everyone has been doing alright, LATER!

MR. BMJ

Actually I double checked myself and I was off by 1g....it's 6g per cup. "Friendship" brand. Really does not taste very good but it has half the sugars that the other brands do so I eat it anyway.

Could it be?!?!!?
PS, could what be????

I love these cryptic posts. Go with what the mysterious MR BMJ said. Almost anything BUT whey and milk would be good.

Top Bottom