x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -
puritysourcelabs.rudomestic-supply.com

Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Supplementation increases Mortality rates.

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Supplementation increases Mortality rates. within the Bodybuilding Supplements category.

Excerpt: http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/297/8/842?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=gluud&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWCITIncrease in mortality with Vitamin A 7% Increase in mortality with Vitamin A equivalent beta-carotene 4% Increase in mortality with Vitamin E However bear in mind that I can't access the full article so these are some issues that come to mind: 1. What level of supplementation was this based on? Low levels ie. multivitamins? How many

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Supplementation increases Mortality rates.

[URL]http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/297/8/842?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fullt ext=gluud&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWC IT[/url

Can't read the article without being a member, but here is a quick summary of the abstract:

The data came from 68 articles:
    16% Increase in mortality with Vitamin A
    7% Increase in mortality with Vitamin A equivalent beta-carotene
    4% Increase in mortality with Vitamin E

However bear in mind that I can't access the full article so these are some issues that come to mind:

1. What level of supplementation was this based on? Low levels ie. multivitamins? How many per day?
    2. Were these people active? How old were they? Did they have existing conditions? We already know that smokers/ex-smokers should avoid vitamin A.

I don't believe that those of us on the forum who are quite active (I'm assuming most) that we have anything to worry about. I'm going to take a shot in the dark that these populations were your average joe-know-nothing-about-supplements-chemist/natropath/advertisement-listening-lazy-do-nothing-quick-fix bunch who think that vitamins are going to make themselves feel better without exercise or effort. Sometimes I'm in the chemists or whatever listening to them pimp vitamin B supplements to people who say they eat alot of breads/pastas but the chemist says "well you don't get enough vegetables so you probably aren't getting your VITAMIN B". At least it's probably not killing them though. lol

Trez

Re: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Supplementation increases Mortality rates.

Quote Quote posted by trez
    [URL]http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/297/8/842?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fullt ext=gluud&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=0&resourcetype=HWC IT[/url

Can't read the article without being a member, but here is a quick summary of the abstract:

The data came from 68 articles:
    16% Increase in mortality with Vitamin A
    7% Increase in mortality with Vitamin A equivalent beta-carotene
    4% Increase in mortality with Vitamin E

However bear in mind that I can't access the full article so these are some issues that come to mind:

1. What level of supplementation was this based on? Low levels ie. multivitamins? How many per day?
    2. Were these people active? How old were they? Did they have existing conditions? We already know that smokers/ex-smokers should avoid vitamin A.

I don't believe that those of us on the forum who are quite active (I'm assuming most) that we have anything to worry about. I'm going to take a shot in the dark that these populations were your average joe-know-nothing-about-supplements-chemist/natropath/advertisement-listening-lazy-do-nothing-quick-fix bunch who think that vitamins are going to make themselves feel better without exercise or effort. Sometimes I'm in the chemists or whatever listening to them pimp vitamin B supplements to people who say they eat alot of breads/pastas but the chemist says "well you don't get enough vegetables so you probably aren't getting your VITAMIN B". At least it's probably not killing them though. lol

Trez
    An update: It seems as if my initial reservations about this study were somewhat accurate. There are a number of "retorts" from various health industry professionals (both commercial and non) disputing the results.

Re: Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Supplementation increases Mortality rates.

The issue with many of these studies is how do you control a variable that is ubiquitos in vivo?

Vitamin A & Vitamin E are present in our bodies and food. How do you control a person's individual production of Vitamin A & Vitamin E. How do you control their diet when they eat foods that are uncontrolled.