Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Supplementation For Sports Performance

LifeofaFighter

Supplementation For Sports Performance http://lifeofafighter.com/supplement...s-performance/ is an new article I just finished not only evaluating dietary supplements but also reviewing every major supplement for sports performance and muscle building. Hope this is helpful, you guys enjoy and I would love some feedback and get everyone's thoughts on this...

HOW TO EVALUATE DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS

Step 1. Gather information about the supplement.

Step 2. Find scientific information to determine safety and effectiveness.

The National Library of Medicine is a searchable database (Medline) that can be accessed via the Internet. You can view this database at www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PubMed. Medline has millions of journal citations. Here you can enter a search term, such as creatine, and view citations, most of which have abstracts. You can also specify that the search be limited to review articles. Medline has some links to online journals, including some that allow for free downloading of articles (most require a fee). You can also find journals at university or hospital libraries.

Because of the vast amount of information available, Medline users can sometimes feel overwhelmed. To make it easier to find information about complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), the “CAM on Medline” database was created. CAM on Medline is a subset of the larger Medline database, and it contains only articles that are related to complementary and alternative therapies, including dietary supplements. You can view this site at www.nccam.nih.gov

You can monitor unsafe dietary supplements and obtain dietary supplement information by periodically checking the Food and Drug Administration’s Web site at http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov. Under the dietary supplements heading, you will find a section entitled “Warnings and Safety Information.”

Some Web sites evaluate dietary supplement information and are convenient references.

One of these sites is Quackwatch at Quackwatch. Quackwatch is “a non-profit corporation whose purpose is to combat health-related frauds, myths, fads, and fallacies.”

Another site is SupplementWatch, Inc. at http://www.supplementwatch.com; this is “a self-funded, privately held corporation consisting of a small group of scientists, physiologists, nutritionists and other health professionals dedicated to educating people about the pros and cons of dietary supplementation.”

Information on both sites is evaluated by professionals with scientific backgrounds.

Click here for a list of these Web addresses.

Step 3. Weigh the evidence and judge if the supplement is safe and effective.

Once you have gathered information, you should weigh and measure the evidence to determine if the supplement is safe and effective. You’ll want to answer these questions:
· What is the supplement’s biologically active ingredient and how does it function in the body?
· How strong is the scientific research?
· Have the studies been performed on athletes or non-athletes?
· Are the subjects endurance or non-endurance athletes, and for which sport are they training?
· Are the claims true, false, or overstated?
· If the supplement is being endorsed, is payment being received for the endorsement?

I thought the Food and Drug Administration does not fully regulate the supplements industry. From what I gathered they only react to consumer complaints and they don't even have the power to ban a specific product.

I thought the Food and Drug Administration does not fully regulate the supplements industry. From what I gathered they only react to consumer complaints and they don't even have the power to ban a specific product.

Yes but they do keep a record of all complaints and were suggesting to make sure you cross reference any supplement or ingredient you could potentially take with that list to ensure it is as safe as possible.

Top Bottom