Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Supplement advice after Gastric Bypass surgery

Arsenal43

Hello,

I'm 31 and I recently had the gastric bypass surgery and went from 290lbs to 160lbs. Since the surgery I cannot have much sugar in my diet, it makes me sweat profusely. I have alot of excess skin around my midsection, butt, chest area that i'm trying to fill out now with muscle. I'm working out 3 times a week now; chest/back(sun), bicep/tricep/shoulders(tue), and abs/legs(thu). I walk for 20-30 minutes before my workouts. Here is a list of supplements i'm currently taking.

V-12 turbo...1 serving every morning, 1 every workout night
Nitro-T3(test booster, NO)....nightly
Amino Jac(6g bcaa's, 35g sugar)....workout nights, 30 min after workout. The sugar in this doesnt seem to bother me since my body is starving for it after my workout.
Mega Mens Sport Multivitamin...daily
B-12(1000mg)...twice weekly
Isopure(50g protein)...workout nights, 1 hr after workout
Protein Bars(24g protein, 34g carbs...only 4 impact)....during workout

Any ideas or help would greatly be appreciated on changing/adding anything. I just got back into lifting and am a little out of date on everything. One other thing, with my decreased stomach size it is hard to eat/drink much at one time.

Working your chest and back on the same day may lead to the onset of fatigue more rapidly and result in you not making the progress which you could if you were to move them to seperate days. Try the following split:

Training split 1 on, 1 off

Day 1: Chest/shoulders/arms
Day 2: Rest
Day 3: Back/legs/abs
Day 4: Rest
Day 5: Chest/shoulders/arms
Day 6: Rest
Day 7: Back/legs/abs
Day 8: Rest

If you need a list of exercises and correct form for each muscle group explained, then try the following:

Novice Exercises

Since you have had gastric bypass surgery, you should have been assigned a dietician to assist you with your recovery as it is a serious procedure. You should look towards real, solid foods to assist you in changing your physique further. Breaking the foods down into a drinkable solution however will help you digest them better depending on how long ago your surgery took place.

Another thing you need to be concerned about is the possibility of gastrointestinal problems brought on by using supplememnts and how supplements interact. The SAN V-12 Turbo is a Tri-creatine Malate based supplement. In this form, creatine is less likely to cause upset but there is still the chance as it does contain monohydrate. The Nitro T3 should not be used with additional Zinc supplements which would be found in your Daily Multivitamin. The addition of an amino supplement is unnecessary as they are all contained within the protein supplement and, hopefully, within your balanced diet. The B12 would only be necessary if you are unable to consume addequate amounts of food to meet your daily requirments. If this is the case, then you should consult back with your physician and ask if you are capable of undertaking an exercise program before proceding further. Your protein supplement (Isopure) is fine but try to move it up a little closer to the time when you complete your workout so that you can take full advantage of utilising as much as possible. Make sure you also restore your glycogen reserves by consuming a carbohydrate source. Post workout (PWO) is when a simple carb source (dextrose/maltodextrin) is considered acceptable. The protein bars, or to call them by their real names 'CARB BARS', are generally low quality protein sources and are held together with fructose or some othe high glycemic source. Apart from convenience, their nutritional value is quite poor and they are expensive in comparison to real, quality foods.

So the only thing I would agree with you taking in a supplement form is Protein. Make sure you keep your body properly hydrated at all times.

Use the following to get yourself started:

Basic Metabolc Rate (BMR):
Your BMR is how many calories your body requires at a resting position.
  • Adult Male:
    BMR = 66 + (6.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (12.9 x height in inches) - (6.8 x age in years)
  • Adult Female:
    BMR = 665 + (4.3 x body weight in lbs.) + (4.7 x height in inches) - (4.7 x age in years)

Use your BMR to determine your daily caloric needs:
  • sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
  • lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
  • moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
  • very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
  • extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

The above values are how many calories you require to maintain your current weight at the specified level of activity. An increase by 500 calories per day (3500 additional total calories over the span of one week) will result in an increase in bodyweight by one pound (minimum). Aim for a 1-2 pound per week increase in bodyweight per week. Keep your diet as clean as possible as you bulk up to ensure that it is quality mass which you are adding. It would be a good idea to have your body fat percentage assessed before you begin all of this though. Since you have a significant amount of lose skin as a result of the surgical procedure, I would advise that you have it performed in a hydrostatic tank as this will give you the most accurate reading. You can get access to these at sport clinics or Universities.

Keep your protein intake high at a level of one gram per pound of lean body mass. You will also need a good supply of carbs to provide the energy you will require for your workouts. Try to stick with complex carbs as simple carb sources will place your body in a position where it will try to retain body fat. Your fat intake should be under 60 grams per day. Minimise your saturated fat intake and avoid trans and hydrogenated fats completely. Your meals should be spaced out throughout the day, preferably six small meals. In your current condition, this should fit in quite nicely.

Caloric Equivalents:
  • one gram of protein = 4 calories
  • one gram of carbs = 4 calories
  • one gram of fat = 9 calories

Just take things slowly with both your workout routine and your nutritional intake. Concentrate on form with your exercises and healthy solid foods for your diet. Allow yourself to progress some first before you start taking all kinds of supplements. In the meantime, do some research and scan the boards here so that you will get a better understanding of what is available to help you get over that next hurdle.

Welcome to EF :D

KP--Fitness Basics

Last edited:
I agree with Kian and would advise you to look for other gastric bypass supplements that have no artificial sweeteners or flavors that might adversely affect you.

sources: vita4life.net

Top Bottom