Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Replacing Flaxseed Oil with Olive Oil ???

vtec96

Was just wondering if I should Occasionally replace my flaxseed oil with some high quality olive oil? Now this would only be to mix things up a bit and get a better mix of nutrients....

I use about 1 tbsp per day of flax and was thinking of using about the same amount of olive oil 1-2 times per week instead of flax for that day. I think Olive Oil has a different ratio of Omega's...

Plus it is MUCH cheaper! Like $2 compared to $8-10!
Any Suggestions? :p

The reason people use flax oil is for the omega-3s, which are non-existent in things like olive oil(I still say fish oil is better.) If you still want to use something of this nature--if, for example, you're bulking and need extra calories and are cheap--safflower oil is probably a better choice. It is very thin, and has a very mild taste. Still it is quite rich in alpha-linolenic acid which is can suppress some of you natural hormone production.

Blood&Iron:
Still it is quite rich in alpha-linolenic acid which is can suppress some of you natural hormone production.
What exactly do you mean will suppress my natural hormone production? Isn't that the OPPOSITE of what Im trying to do?

flax seed oil & fish oils = omega 3s (poly unsaturated fatty acids)

olive oil = the richest oil in mono-unsaturated fatty acids

I think you need both (though it is said that w3's are more important for BBers)

vtec96 said:
Blood&Iron:

What exactly do you mean will suppress my natural hormone production? Isn't that the OPPOSITE of what Im trying to do?

Flax has the same problem and is the reason I'm not a fan. But if you limit consumption to a tbsp or so a day, it probably isn't much of an issue. Again, fish oil does not have this drawback, and has some additional positives.

Blood&Iron,

What is the advantages of fish oils over flax seed oil ?

I thought ALA (flax) xas converted into EPA and DHA (fish) ?

Anthrax said:
Blood&Iron,

What is the advantages of fish oils over flax seed oil ?
Flax has a fairly high proportion of omega-6 to omega-3. Since most people get more than enough omega-6 in their diets, it is silly to supplement with it. Fish oil is rich in EPA and DHA which are far more beneficial. Additionally, excessive alpha-linolenic acid can suppress the delta 6 desaturase enzyme which is responsible for the conversion of EFAs to eicosanoids(Both good and bad.) In this way it's much like aspirin.

I thought ALA (flax) xas converted into EPA and DHA (fish) ?
Yes, this is true. This process is not particularly efficient however.

Interesting ...
Additionally, excessive alpha-linolenic acid can suppress the delta 6 desaturase enzyme which is responsible for the conversion of EFAs to eicosanoids(Both good and bad.) In this way it's much like aspirin.

Too bad they don't sell fish oil like flax... then I could take a tbps or so a day:p

Blood&Iron, do you think that just 1 tbps or so per day will casue this to happen? Also what other kind of oil would be good to increase EFA's ... what about "promise oil" .. never heard much about it but some tradition was to take this at night...
Too much of anything seems like will cause your system to get out of alignment... Guess everything in moderation.....

Top Bottom