Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Recipe Thread!!

J

jenscats5

Decided individual posts would be too much...

Turkey-Broccoli Bake

I posted this a while ago & it was very very yummy!!

"Saw this in the latest Health magazine but modified it to be healthier. I'll post the original & modified versions. It was very yummy!

Original:

1-1/2 lbs broccoli crowns, cut into long spears
3 cups turkey, warmed
2 tblsp unsalted butter
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1 cup pre-sliced mushrooms
3 tblsp all purpose flour
1-1/2 cups broth, heated
2 tblsp dry sherry
3 tblsp heavy cream
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan, divided
1/4 cup sliced almonds

In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, cook broccoli about 5 minutes or until tender, drain. Butter a 9x13x2 inch baking dish, arrange broccoli spears across the bottom. Top with turkey, cover with foil to keep warm.
In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Saute onions and mushrooms until golden brown (add a little broth if mixture seems dry). Add flour & cook stirring 1 minute. Stir in broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until thick. Stir in sherry & cook 1 minute. Add cream & 1/4 cup parmesan, simmer 1 minute. Season to taste with salt & pepper, remove from heat.
Preheat broiler to high. Pour sauce over turkey. Top with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan and almonds. Broil for 1 minute or until the sauce bubbles and the almonds are golden brown.

Per serving (about 1-1/2 cups): 320 cals, 18g fat (8g sat, 6g mono, 3g poly) 83mg cholesterol, 28g protein, 12g carbs, 4g fiber, 3mg iron, 238mg sodium, 184mg calcium.

My version:
10 oz cooked turkey shredded or cut into pieces
1 can mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 bag frozen broccoli (no need to thaw)
1/4 - 1/2 onion chopped
1 tblsp flour
1/2 can vegetable broth
1/4 to 1/2 cup skim milk
Flavored bread crumbs (optional)
1/4 Cup Sliced Almonds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking pan with nonstick spray. Pour frozen broccoli, peas & drained mushrooms into pan. Top with turkey and pepper to taste. Cook onion in pan with cooking spray till soft -- use cooking spray liberally!! Sprinkle with flour to make a roux -- which is like a paste made of flour & the spray -- you could also use some broth here. The "roux" will be a thick pasty stuff in the bottom of the pan, slightly golden in color. Add broth, whisking till thick. Add milk & simmer for 1-2 minutes. Mixture should be soupy (should coat the back of a spoon), pour over turkey mixture. Top with breadcrumbs &/or almonds & bake 45 minutes, or until top is slightly brown.

Now, I'm not sure of the calorie count, etc on this but it's gotta be better than the original!! Very yummy!!!!!

Last edited:
Marinated Seafood Salad

I adapted this recipe from one I found on www.foodtv.com ..... Goes to the Italian Tradition of 7 Fishes for Christmas Eve..... not eating meat on Christmas Eve is supposed to bring good luck the following year!!

Note: The amount of seafood will depend on how many you will be serving

White Wine, Water or Broth
Shrimp (~1/2 lb), cleaned, shelled & deveined
Calamari Rings (You can find cleaned, frozen ones in a bag at Trader Joe's) (~1/2 the bag)
Mussels*
Clams*
Other Seafood As Desired (scallops, fish, etc)
Minced: Celery, Carrot, Red Onion, Radish, Bell Pepper, Garlic Cloves
Chopped Fresh Asparagus -- blanced with small amount of water in the microwave for 1 minute, drained (leave slightly crunchy)
2 tblsp (more or less) of thawed frozen OJ concentrate (not mixed with water)
Olive Oil
Hot Sauce
Seasonings: Pepper, Salt, Cajun Spice, others as desired....

Simmer shrimp, calamari, mussels & clams + any other seafood (like conch, octopus, scallops, fish pieces, etc) separately in wine, water or broth until cooked. DO NOT OVERCOOK!! Discard cooking liquid.

Combine cooked seafoods, vegetables, spices, OJ & Olive Oil together in a nonreactive bowl/container (like a plastic bowl with a lid). Shake to combine. Allow to marinate for 2 hours & serve. Enjoy!!

(I just had some of this & IT IS EXCELLENT!! Definitely worth making.)

* Tip for the mussels & clams..... Once you bring them home from the store, wash them well & remove the beards from the mussels. Discard any with broken shells. Make a mixture of salt water in a large pot or bowl. Place the clams/mussels in said bowl & pour a bit of plain breadcrumbs over the top. If the shellfish are lively (And still alive!!) they will eat some of the breadcrumbs & spit out the sand. So when you eat them, you won't get that "crunch" of sand in your mouth!! Only let them "soak" for 1-2 hours. Rinse well then cook. Be sure to discard any that float or don't open during the cooking process.

Having seafood (as long as you like it) gets you out of the endless chicken cycle....

****Use the remainder of the seafood for a Pasta with Seafood Sauce....

Mix the cooked seafood with some Italian Seasoning, olive oil & tomato sauce.....heat & serve over WW pasta or brown rice....

Jen, I thought ur Turkey-Broc bake sounded great so I was curious about the numbers for your revised version. Well here they are:

For 1 cup servings:
146 cal
fat 5 grams (sat: .7, poly: 1, mono: 2)
carbs:11 grams (fiber 3)
protein 16 grams

Great job! I will def be making this some time this week! The 7fishes sounds great too ( saw that one foodnetwork too). Sounds delish so might give that one a try too.

Thx!

P.S. One tiny alteration that I'll make on the broc bake is using whole wheat flour and whole wheat breadcrumbs. U really can't taste the diff at all and I like to stay away from white when I can.

GiaDona said:
Jen, I thought ur Turkey-Broc bake sounded great so I was curious about the numbers for your revised version. Well here they are:

For 1 cup servings:
146 cal
fat 5 grams (sat: .7, poly: 1, mono: 2)
carbs:11 grams (fiber 3)
protein 16 grams

Thanks for posting the numbers!! I had no idea what they would be!!

Great job! I will def be making this some time this week! The 7fishes sounds great too ( saw that one foodnetwork too). Sounds delish so might give that one a try too.

I really liked it served over lettuce.....I don't like octopus so I came up with my own seafood combo... :worried:

Thx!

P.S. One tiny alteration that I'll make on the broc bake is using whole wheat flour and whole wheat breadcrumbs. U really can't taste the diff at all and I like to stay away from white when I can.

I've never seen WW bread crumbs. You could make them out of stale WW bread by pulsing them in a food processor. You could use WW flakes also or even fine oatmeal.

Figured I'd do a quick recipe too--just off the top of my head but very yummy.

It's my alteration of pescado empanizado (spanish breaded fish.)

Ingredients for whole meal:

Talapia fillets (or any fish fillet u like)
Whole wheat bread crumbs
skim milk
salt
pepper
goya sazon
goya adobo
red onions
Olive oil or non-fat Pam cooking spray
Brown Rice
Red Beans or Black beans or Peas

*Talapia fillets (one per serving). marinate in lime juice, salt, pepper

*Whole wheat bread crumbs
To make: whole wheat bread, orgegano, goya sazon, goya adobo, salt, pepper, garlic powder--pulse in cuisinart or blender. Put on a large plate or dish.

*1 whole egg and about 1/4 cup skim milk. Beat together in a bowl.

*Dip fish in egg batter, then put in breadcrumbs, coating both sides well.

*Depending on how much fat you want to take in--u can either use olive oil (about 3 tbspns--this is really sauteeing rather than the traditional deep frying) or fat-free pam.

*They cook very quickly--about 4 min on each side. Just try not to move them around to much as breading will fall off.

*A quick side condiment that goes nicely: Red onions sliced SUPER PAPER THIN). Fill a bowl with 1 cup. water, 5 tbspns salt, and lime juice of 2 limes. Put onions in this mixture and let it sit for about 5-10 min. Then use ur hands to "massage" them in the water---this makes the white film that gives onions that pungent taste and smell come off. Take them out of this bowl and put in another bowl of plain cold water to rinse of excess salt. Drain again, add more lime, salt peper. Place on top of fish. Serve it with Frank's Red Hot Sauce and you've got a kick-ass spanish dish!

*I also make some brown rice with peas or beans (an adjusted version of arroz con habichuelas). Make brown rice according to box then stir in 1 can of beans or 1/4 bag frozen peas. Season to taste.

I had the numbers for this dish in a word doc, which I can't find right now. Will update this with numbers when I can. :)

Chocolate Mocha Latte

Make a protein shake using chocolate protein powder and equal amounts of skim milk & water. Add in 1 tsp. of instant espresso powder or some leftover coffee. Blend & enjoy!!

**Tip: Pour any leftover coffee into an ice cube tray & freeze. Use the cubes for a Protein Latte.

jenscats5 said:
Chocolate Mocha Latte

Make a protein shake using chocolate protein powder and equal amounts of skim milk & water. Add in 1 tsp. of instant espresso powder or some leftover coffee. Blend & enjoy!!

**Tip: Pour any leftover coffee into an ice cube tray & freeze. Use the cubes for a Protein Latte.

I LOVE this...It's so yummy :chomp:

Great Salad Dressing
(Also good as a marinade):

~ 1 Tblsp Dijon Mustard
Dash Red Wine Vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
Olive Oil (1-2 tblsp)
Minced (very tiny chop) scallion, red onion, garlic....also could use shallot, vidalia onion, etc....
Dash Splenda
Could also use some OJ concentrate for extra flavor...

Whisk together & pour over salad. Great on tuna steak with salad.

Last edited:
I am eating something that is so good so I will pass it along! I took 1/4c non fat cottage cheese and mixed it into a 3.30 ounce can tuna with dijon mustard and 1 tbs soy mayo -nayonaise - I am using it as a dip for fresh veg and it is GOOD!

Sichuan-Style Chicken with Peanuts

Marinade:
1 tblsp. low-sodium soy sauce
2 tblsp. vegetable or chicken broth
1 tsp. olive oil
1 chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces

Whisk liquids in a bowl & add chicken. Marinate in fridge for 20 minutes.

Sauce:
1/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
1 tblsp. Splenda (less for a less-sweet taste)
1 tblsp. Low-sodium soy sauce
1 tblsp Chinese Black Vinegar or Worcestershire sauce (I didn't have either so I used red wine vinegar)
1/4 tsp. Cornstarch
1 tsp. olive oil (or sesame oil, etc)
2 tblsp. minced green onion
1/2 tsp. dried ginger (or use 1 tsp. minced fresh)
1 Clove minced Garlic

1 tsp Chile Paste with garlic
Red Pepper Flakes, to taste

Combine Broth thru Garlic in a container, whisking thoroughly. Set aside.

Remaining Ingredients:
1/2 cup Bell Pepper pieces
~ 1/4 cup Asparagus Pieces, optional
Other vegetables, if desired (like broccoli)
~ 1 ounce peanuts
~ 1/4 cup Sliced Green Onion/Scallion
Drained, sliced water chestnuts, if desired
Hot, cooked brown rice

To prepare:
Heat vegetable, olive or other oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook thoroughly, remove from pan & set aside.

Clean pan and heat oil or treat pan with cooking spray. Stir fry peppers & asparagus for about 1 minute. Add sauce mixture & cook for 1 minute or until thickened, stirring constantly. Stir in cooked chicken, water chestnuts, scallions, peanuts, and chile paste; cook till heated. Serve over rice. Yield: 1 serving.

**Had this for dinner tonite -- YUMMY! It wasn't hot enough for me, so I should have used more red pepper flakes.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom