Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein shake to replace lunch of a diabetic

Jurey

My dad has some health issues, including diabetes, heart things, blood pressure, etc. So he is supposed to eat very clean. He can not do so at his job, and ends up messing up his diet. Question is – can I give him a protein shake to replace his lunch, and get him to eat clean. As far as I understand, whey protein has nothing bad for his condition – right?

Lactose might be a problem for him – both because it has carbs, and also because it can cause digestion issues. So he can use a protein, but he needs to make sure that he will be using whey isolate, which has no lactose. The more common whey concentrate has tons of lactose, so it has a higher chance of causing stomach issues.

My dad has some health issues, including diabetes, heart things, blood pressure, etc. So he is supposed to eat very clean. He can not do so at his job, and ends up messing up his diet. Question is – can I give him a protein shake to replace his lunch, and get him to eat clean. As far as I understand, whey protein has nothing bad for his condition – right?

Dads can be stubborn SOB's (mine was when it came to diet) and unless he works in a burger bar he CAN eat clean. Even if he worked at road digging/truck driving he can take a clean packed lunch

A pure whey isolate will be perfectly safe to consume by a diabetic person. A pure whey isolate is essentially pure protein and will contain no fat or carbs. It will not raise blood sugar levels.

That being said. All protein powders are not created equal. A lot of protein powders on the market are cut with cheap carbohydrate fillers - which would be terrible for a diabetic person to consume. You really need to be a smart consumer in today's market and do your research. Look at the ingredient list and supplements fact panel on every supplement before buying it.

For a whey protein - you want to see nothing but that in the ingredients list. Whey protein isolate, natural flavours, a natural calorie free sweetener like stevia and then maybe some salt, soy lechitin and cocoa powder. There are a lot of good products on the market. I personally use isolation from n2bm.com. A good whey isolate should be pretty much fat and carb free. Isolation has 26g protein, 1g carb, 0g fat per 30g scoop.

Top Bottom