Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Protein Factory

Blood&Iron

Did a search through the archives and didn't really find what I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone's actually had a lab assay done on stuff from the Protein Factory? The prices and customizable protein mixes seem great. But--and feel free to call me cynical--it just seems like there would be too great a temptation for them to underdose/substitute more expensive proteins for cheaper stuff. I was also wondering if anyone's bought the hydrolyzed protein and/or the recovery formula? I found a post or two regarding it but nothing very useful. I'm wondering about the taste and whether hydrolyzed protein really has any sort of noticeable effect. Is hydrolyzed protein really as bad tasting as they say?(I'd guess it kinda tastes like glutamine peptide, which taken alone makes me want to puke.) I've read it's basically undrinkable unless mixed with something else? Has anyone tried? If nobody responds, I'll be forced to go with Biotest's Surge, so PLEASE help. It will cause me untold pain to give any money to those guys.

My workout drink consists of 18g Hydro whey, 5g BCAA's, 5g Glutamine peptides and 5g Creatine mixed with 40g of dextrose. The drink doesn't taste good but the aftertaste is horrible, you know the taste you get in your mouth after you puke?, ditto!

You may be able to request a copy of a lab assay from them and then call the manufacturer to confirm it was done, the manufacturer usually sends one with shipments. However, I use their milk protein isolate to satisfy 2/3 of my protein requirements. I'm also lactose intolerant so if they were substituting a cheap concentrate then I would know! I really don't have any misgivings about the quality of their protein.

Thanks. Have you noticed any difference from using the hydrolyzed protein vs. just regular old whey? I perused the MFW archives looking for anything from Lyle McDonald, the only guy whose advice I'll almost blindly follow, and found several statements to the effect that whey, including the hydrolyzed variety, isn't really a very good protein and other than post-workout casein is much better. I've read this before, but hearing Lyle say it makes me sit up and take notice. So maybe I should just order 5-lbs of micellar casein.

why not go for the Calcium Casseinate? It's much cheaper. And don't see how or why whey would be a bad idea post workout, i see it as being ideal. A post workout shake of whey followed by one of cassein seems even a better idea.

Riskybizz007-
You're right. Just checked out some stuff on micellar casein. It's a gimmick. I tend to go with whatever's most expensive on the assumption it must be better(Yes, idiotic. I know.) And it's not that whey is bad post-workout, only that it *may* be better than casein. Probably is, but according to McDonald there's nothing conclusive.(Never realized how great a resource the MFW archives were. Only problem is there a lot of off topic crap one has to sort through.) I still plan on giving hydrolyzed whey a shot. Probably just pissing my money away, but I'll try anything once. I'll probably go with Surge since I really don't feel like having a puke aftertaste in my mouth. From what I've heard Surge tastes decent(Probably 'cause Biotest uses a less hydrolyzed protein which sort of defeats the whole point, but, oh well.)

B&I:

If you wanna go w/ hydrolysed whey give protein factory's recovery formula a try -

45% Dextrose
20% Maltodextrin
25% hydrolyzed 520
5% Glutamine peptides
5% BCAA

Serving Size
1 cup
100 grams
65 carbs
28 protein.

I have been using it and the taste isnt that bad (so far I have tried orange and vanilla both flavored w/ splenda) but as of recently I have been asking the same question as to whether or not the hydro was worth it. Also I have been curious if I should add a packet or 2 of sucrose since on the MFW archives I have seen Lyle(Im a big fan too) as well as Par recomend adding a little amount to post workout shakes.

Regular old Whey would probably be just fine post workout. However, for my workout drink I like the very rapid assimilation of the Hydro and considering the amount I use it isn't that expensive. The thing I love is the amazing pump that starts 20 minutes into my workout and the extra energy. I've found that my recovery time has dramatically increased. Surge does taste good but don't mix it up too far ahead of time. The Protein Factory recovery formula tastes OK but my concoction is much cheaper, I shopped around for the best deals on each ingredient, and I have greater control over the BCAA and Glutamine content. I can't tolerate the taste.:)

I personally don't like the proteinfactory's recovery formula. I like to make my own w/ 80g dextrose and 50g whey. That's all i use immediately post workout, i'll usually have a second shake w/ just whey and in this one i'll add the flax and fiber and glutamine peptides.

Thanks to all who helped. I'm probably just gonna get a tub of Surge, and try it. Don't expect much. More interesting to me was a post I read while researching all of this from Lyle McDonald suggesting that one consume some whey protein at the beginning of one's workout, and then some maltodextrin or dextrose at about 30 min. in(This is assuming the workout lasts one hour.) Due to the difference in rate of digestion, both will be at peak levels of absorption right as your workout is winding up. I'll probably just keep doing this and have Surge as my post-post-workout drink.

I personally like Protein Factory. Here is my current postworkout formula:
42% Maltodextrin
20% CFM Whey
20% Hydrolyzed whey 520
10% Hydrolyzed Caseinate
8% Glutamine peptides

The taste isn't too bad with the splenda...I also use their night formula for slow digestion, but that stuff is thick as syrup.

Another one that I like is the Myomax 10 in 1 formula by Scitech.
It is a little pricey, but I have had great results.

Top Bottom