Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

protein absorption

connor price

Hi guys I wonder how much protein can the body take in one sitting, I spoke to some body builders and most of them say 20g is the max, the rest is waste of protein, is that true?

my thoughts are that the whole protein thing is overblown by the supplement companies trying to sell you protein powders

you don't need all this fucking protein. guys on forums used to say you need 3X your bodyweight in grams. then it changes to 2X.. then 1.5X.. now it is down to 1X.. well i would argue it is even less than that.. do you need protein? yes .. but we already get enough protein in our american diets. what people are missing are sleep, minerals, and vitamins. THOSE are what you need more of!

my thoughts are that the whole protein thing is overblown by the supplement companies trying to sell you protein powders

you don't need all this fucking protein. guys on forums used to say you need 3X your bodyweight in grams. then it changes to 2X.. then 1.5X.. now it is down to 1X.. well i would argue it is even less than that.. do you need protein? yes .. but we already get enough protein in our american diets. what people are missing are sleep, minerals, and vitamins. THOSE are what you need more of!

Copied and pasted from the 16th.

What's needed is logic. A pint (468ml) of skimmed milk contains MORE than 20g of protein. An 8oz steak contains more than 20g. A 125g of tuna contains more than 20g. Throughout history we've eaten, even when we were shorter, small and lighter as a race than we are now, consistently more than 20g at a time. Be that in blood, insects or goats milk we can, we have and we will.

The question, for which Steve's reply is a little relevant is 'should we'? It depends. I outweigh Steve by some margin. At a guess 60lbs or so. If we both have the same number of meals a day then my per meal requirement MUST, all other things being equal, be more than his.

There is, for the OP, a search function on this site. It takes the same time to enter the topic into it as it does to post. Google will also show you just how many times the question has come up on a weekly basis. But. like I said above, simple logic negates the need to ask. Pretty much every meal with meat you EVER had out, including a Big Mac, has more than 20g of protein in it. You didn't die, you (more or less) managed to digest it and you'll still able to post lol.

20g? Where does that rule come from. Think about it logically. Would that apply to a 100 pound female and a 300 pound male? Of course not.

This whole 'your body can only absorb a certain amount of protein in a single sitting' thing is total bro science. Your body absorbs everything you eat. Your body can only utilize so much protein in a given period, but all the protein you eat will be absorbed. Some of that protein will just be converted into glucose and used as an energy source.

50-60g of protein in a single sitting is a good number to shoot for. If you eat 6 meals a day, 50-60g x 6 = 300-360g. For a 200 pound person, that would put him right at 1.5-2g of protein per pound of body weight which is perfect.

I agree with @muskate - all of the protein will be absorbed, regardless of its amount. What will vary, is the way this protein will be used by the body. In some cases it will convert more to fat, in other occasions it will go into muscles or energy...this is why it is so important to have a balanced diet, where all sorts of nutrients are present.

Here's what we do (using a protein shake as an example)
1) We ingest. In other words, for our shake, we swallow it.
2) We digest. It'll go to one part of our digestive tract to be broken down. So, again for our shake, mostly (we hope) into long chain amino acids.
3) Uptake (as aminos) into the blood stream and sent where it's needed
4) We absorb... what we need. It'll float around for (I think) 8 hours or so
5) We either a) convert and or b) excrete. Conversion includes (via glycogensis (SP)) into glycogen and excretion can be in pr as urea (piss) or in your poo.

What our bodies requires changes all the time and varies through the day. A fella shoveling down a coal mine needs different amounts from another in an office and differs again after a workout, when they sleep and so on.

And, as I said, we've eaten, absorbed and used more than 20g at a time throughout history. If we hadn't we'd have died out as a race during every famine or failed hunting trip.

Top Bottom