Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Milk- versus whey protein.

Dutch windmill

I read from a flyer from a manufacturer that milk-protein (calcium caseinaat) has an absorption coeffecient of about 40-60 %. He claims that only 40-60 grams is absorbed of every 100 grams you take. If you take 100 grams whey-protein 70-85 grams is absorbed.

I think it's complete bull. That would mean that every serving of cottage cheese, that provides you with 50 grams of protein, actually only gives you about 25 grams.

Who can help me out on this subject??

Last edited:
That is total crap.Yes,certain proteins have higher BV's and PER's than others,but they also have different amino acid patterns,growth factors,absorbtion rates(anabolic vs anti-catabolic),and support nutrients.Do yourself a favor and get your protein from as varied sources as you can.By the way,when getting protein powders,look for MICELLAR casein,which is much better than casienate.

Milk also contains Whey protein...about 20% so if you were to take your pick use Milk...longer lasting in your system, which means you will maintain a positive nitrogen balance longer. Using just Whey is useless, it is in and out of your system too fast which means you risk the chance of loosing a lot of muscle!

Well,while I agree that most of the time a protein blend is best,I wouldn't call whey useless...it should just be used properly.Post workout is a time when we need a fast acting protein like whey.Right before a workout is good too.Remember,whey will help to raise glutathione levels in the body....very important anti-oxidant.Whey also contains growth factors not found in other proteins...lactoferrin,lactoglobulin,etc.Also,whey is very high in the BCAA's.So,whey is best in a blend or taken on its own at specific times...certainly not useless.

I will agree with using it pre-workout but post workout a combination of mixed Isolates is your best bet. That way you get a balance between fast acting, medium and slower acting proteins. Studies show that the window of opportunity of post workout feeding is up to two hours later. So a mix will feed you fast and for porlonged periods of time. Only Whey post workout is in and out too fast...what happens after 1 hour of using whey post workout...you run the risk of catabolizing muscle tissue. Go with Blends all the time with the exception of what FX says of maybe pre-workout!

whey isolate

Ideally, 25 grams of pure Ion exchange whey protein isolate every hour would be the best! depending on how many hours you sleep a night one could easily ingest 300-400 grams of protein daily doing this and maximize anabolism.and, then at night then have the casseniate...

Ohbejuan...having whey isolate all day would be a terrible mistake.For maximum growth we need a variety of amino acid patterns...not just 1 or 2.All proteins have special properties that the other ones lack.The strength of one will make up for the weakness of another.Sources should be whey,micellar casein,egg albumin,chicken,turkey,red meat,buffalo,cottage cheese,fish,etc.

Big...you are incorrect about the post workout meal.You want the fastest acting protein immediately after training with some simple carbs...and that is WHEY alone.There are tons of studies to prove this fact.The right thing to do is to follow the whey drink up with a solid food meal about an hour later.

bodyfx, i understand having the whey after workout, but in your food meal an hour later how much protein should that contain? i'm also assuming the post-workout shake is around 40g of protein. thanks

Hi pact.....well,the amount of protein consumed would really have to do with your bodyweight.Being that most bodybuilders consume between 1 and 2 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight,the amount can vary widely.To use me as an example,however,I weigh about 240 and my post workout shake usually contains about 60 grams of protein.Then the meal I have about an hour later will contain another 60 or so grams.So just adjust slightly according to your bodyweight.I do best on a high protein,low carb diet,and usually shoot for about 480 grams of protein per day.Good luck to you!

Top Bottom