Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ideal amount of glutamine

WarriorPL

High End Bro
Platinum
What's a good ammount of glutamine to take in a serving, and when should it be taken?

I'm trying to see if it'd be any good to get glutamine in pills, or just the powder.

WizKid25 said:
What's a good ammount of glutamine to take in a serving, and when should it be taken?

I'm trying to see if it'd be any good to get glutamine in pills, or just the powder.

First, I think glutamine is over-rated. As a general rule, you should do about 10-15g post workout and 20g before bed. Powder is MUCH better then pills, for sometimes w/ the pills they use garbage fillers that drastically slow down tha absorption.

Mr.X

OMEGA said:

thats not true darn it

Prove me wrong my man....show some studies comparing glutamine (yours) to at least 5 top brans and 5 lowest brands. The likes of proteinfactory plain glutamine.

Mr.X

Mr.X said:

Prove me wrong my man....show some studies comparing glutamine (yours) to at least 5 top brans and 5 lowest brands. The likes of proteinfactory plain glutamine.

Mr.X

I don't have studies, just faith, and results

I just got back from a conference where a poster was presented showing that chronic oral administration of glutamine decreased the absorption into the blood stream via glutamine transporter down-regulation (much the same as chronic high dose vitamin C does to vitamin-C absorption). The implications of this for BBs is not clear since no one has really shown a benefit from oral glutamine in otherwise healthy and well fed folks on a high protein diet. However IF you wish to take glutamine "just in case", it would seem prudent to cycle it just like most other supps......

MS said:
I just got back from a conference where a poster was presented showing that chronic oral administration of glutamine decreased the absorption into the blood stream via glutamine transporter down-regulation (much the same as chronic high dose vitamin C does to vitamin-C absorption). The implications of this for BBs is not clear since no one has really shown a benefit from oral glutamine in otherwise healthy and well fed folks on a high protein diet. However IF you wish to take glutamine "just in case", it would seem prudent to cycle it just like most other supps......

MS as you might know, the debate about glutamine will never end; however, L-glutamine is absolute useless, in my view, unless you use it for its immunological boosting properties.

The simple reason for the above statement is because glutamine has to get into the blood stream one way or another.
As we know, roughly 61% of the AA pool in the blood is glutamine. That is approximately 5g of amino acids in the blood at one time. In addition, close to 90%(probably more) of the ingested glutamine is destroyed by the stomach acids. After the beforehand fact, it is probably safe to assume that not even 1% gets to the blood--less I imagine.

The immunological boosting properties can be explored, I am one of the people that saw this early on and started getting the "ANIMAL" glutamine created by the infamous Animal. What the major contribution in the mix is Potassium Citrate, which should act as a buffering agent. A more prominent way to do this is by adding baking soda to the mix with Glutamin; thus, creating a stomach acid buffer and, maybe, increase some absorption.

Mr.X

Well we're all entitled to our point of view, but there is no doubt that enough L-glutamine gets orally absorbed in normal folks (without buffering agents) to increase the blood glutamine levels by up to 20% (at 0.3g/kg).

I think the only disagreement is whether this has any advantages for otherwise healthy BBs who are already on a high protein diet. Given that glutamine supps also dramatically increase glutamate levels while decreasing glutathione levels, I would be cautious about taking lots of the stuff all the time. Too much glutamine may also be a risk factor for development of schizophrenia.

The jury may never agree if it's worth taking "just in case" or for any true anticatabolic properties outside of a disease state. Even in a disease state, recent research has shown that not only does increasing blood glutamine levels NOT prevent catabolism in ill folks, but it appears to REDUCE markers of protein synthesis in normal people. We can only speculate that maybe too much glutamine causes feedback inhibition of protein synthesis in some form.

Top Bottom