Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

How much is too much.Is there any side or negative affects to taking too much ALA??

i believe that the dangerous/toxic dose for ALA is somewhere around 30gr per day.

one negative effect that i have read about is that you might feel a little hypo - feeling very lethargic and slow, and maybe falling asleep - if you take a relatively large dose, which is very individual. it happens to just a few people. and if you eat some carbs, you will be fine.

I'm also interested. Because I've heard of people taking up to 6-7gms/day. Which, besides being very expensive, seems to mess with blood-sugar levels a little too much. Then again, people takes tons of insulin and are fine. So I'm confused.

Anyway, Bump! :confused:

I think i remember someone mentioning ala upregulating glucose transport to the fat receptors as well as the muscle. That copuld be considered negative to some.

Side effects I've experienced when taking "too much" ALA: projectile vomitting, acute hypoglycemia, and painful urination. (Ow, my garbage!)

LD50 information cut and pasted from Kilosports.com:

A-Lipoic acid appears to be safe in the dosages generally prescribed clinically. The LD50 was 400-500 mg/kg after an oral dosage in dogs.27 However, lower dosages (20 mg/kg) given intraperitoneally to severely thiamin-deficient rats proved fatal. These adverse effects were prevented when thiamin was administered with the lipoic acid.29 There have not been sufficient studies to guarantee safety for its use in pregnancy. Allergic skin conditions are among the few reported side effects of lipoic acid administration in humans.

Other than the toxic piss smell I've noticed one side effect:
My fingernail cuticles have receded by about 2 mm. I know, this is a wussy side effect but it may be a sign of a biotin deficiency which isn't such a wussy matter. My cuticles have always been much healthier before I started the 2-3 grams of ALA a day. I've been taking 1000mcg biotin for the last 2 weeks and I think it may be helping, but too early to tell.

u4ik_RAGE said:
Other than the toxic piss smell I've noticed one side effect:
My fingernail cuticles have receded by about 2 mm. I know, this is a wussy side effect but it may be a sign of a biotin deficiency which isn't such a wussy matter. My cuticles have always been much healthier before I started the 2-3 grams of ALA a day. I've been taking 1000mcg biotin for the last 2 weeks and I think it may be helping, but too early to tell.

ALA has been shown to interfere with biotin. It is best to take biotin with ALA.

Top Bottom