x
Almost there! Please complete this form and click the button below to gain instant access.
EliteFitness.com FREE Email Series: How You Can Use Winstrol, Masteron, HGH, and Testosterone for a Perfect, Muscular Physique!
- -
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.
- -

Ground Flax Seed over Flax seed oil?

Welcome to the EliteFitness.com Bodybuilding Site! Please join this discussion about Ground Flax Seed over Flax seed oil? within the Bodybuilding Supplements category.

Excerpt: I was thinking about tossing 2-3tablespoons of ground flax seed into my morning oatmeal. It would appear that the benefits from ground flax seed far outweigh that of the oil.. That being said, would there be any reason not to incorporate this into my morning oats? (Very rich in fiber/protein)

Read more or register here to join the discussion below...

Pro Bodybuilder

Ground Flax Seed over Flax seed oil?

I was thinking about tossing 2-3tablespoons of ground flax seed into my morning oatmeal. It would appear that the benefits from ground flax seed far outweigh that of the oil..

That being said, would there be any reason not to incorporate this into my morning oats? (Very rich in fiber/protein)

Re: Ground Flax Seed over Flax seed oil?

The only difference is the fiber content (as the protein is incomplete in any case).

calculate how many tbsps you'd need to get the same amount of fat... If I remember correctly, it was something like 4tbps of ground seeds equal 1 tbsp oil

The lignans in flaxseed can bind up testosterone in the body so you might want to consider another source of EFA's. I just switched to olive oil, walnut oil, almonds, and fish oils and got rid of flax altogether. Not a great source of Omega 6's either. Here's the nutritional info:

Ground Flaxseed:

1 Tablespoon

Calories: 59
    Fat: 4 grams
    Carbs: 4
    Fiber: 3
    Protein: 2

Flaxseed Oil

1 Tablespoon

Calories 120
    Total Fat: 13.6
    Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 9 g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 0 g
    Protein: 0 g

Quote Quote posted by alex2678
    The lignans in flaxseed can bind up testosterone in the body so you might want to consider another source of EFA's. I just switched to olive oil, walnut oil, almonds, and fish oils and got rid of flax altogether. Not a great source of Omega 6's either. Here's the nutritional info:

Ground Flaxseed:

1 Tablespoon

Calories: 59
    Fat: 4 grams
    Carbs: 4
    Fiber: 3
    Protein: 2

Flaxseed Oil

1 Tablespoon

Calories 120
    Total Fat: 13.6
    Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat: 9 g
    Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7 g
    Cholesterol: 0 mg
    Total Carbohydrate: 0 g
    Protein: 0 g
    Agreed. You can find much better sources of EFA than Flax. Besides Flaxmeal, otherwise known as ground up flax seeds, only provides a fiber element w/o any real nutritional content because once the seeds are ground up, the light and heat cause by this make most of it rancid, hence the cold-pressed pitch-black flax oil extraction process. On top of that and what alex2678 said, while flax oil does provide you w/ Omega-3, it's all ALA and your body only converts about 2~5% of this short-chain into long chain EPA & DHA.