Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ground Flax Seed over Flax seed oil?

poysyn

I was thinking about tossing 2-3tablespoons of ground flax seed into my morning oatmeal. It would appear that the benefits from ground flax seed far outweigh that of the oil..

That being said, would there be any reason not to incorporate this into my morning oats? (Very rich in fiber/protein)

The only difference is the fiber content (as the protein is incomplete in any case).

calculate how many tbsps you'd need to get the same amount of fat... If I remember correctly, it was something like 4tbps of ground seeds equal 1 tbsp oil

The lignans in flaxseed can bind up testosterone in the body so you might want to consider another source of EFA's. I just switched to olive oil, walnut oil, almonds, and fish oils and got rid of flax altogether. Not a great source of Omega 6's either. Here's the nutritional info:

Ground Flaxseed:

1 Tablespoon

Calories: 59
Fat: 4 grams
Carbs: 4
Fiber: 3
Protein: 2

Flaxseed Oil

1 Tablespoon

Calories 120
Total Fat: 13.6
Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 9 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 0 g
Protein: 0 g

alex2678 said:
The lignans in flaxseed can bind up testosterone in the body so you might want to consider another source of EFA's. I just switched to olive oil, walnut oil, almonds, and fish oils and got rid of flax altogether. Not a great source of Omega 6's either. Here's the nutritional info:

Ground Flaxseed:

1 Tablespoon

Calories: 59
Fat: 4 grams
Carbs: 4
Fiber: 3
Protein: 2

Flaxseed Oil

1 Tablespoon

Calories 120
Total Fat: 13.6
Saturated Fat: 1.3 g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 9 g
Monounsaturated Fat: 2.7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Total Carbohydrate: 0 g
Protein: 0 g

Agreed. You can find much better sources of EFA than Flax. Besides Flaxmeal, otherwise known as ground up flax seeds, only provides a fiber element w/o any real nutritional content because once the seeds are ground up, the light and heat cause by this make most of it rancid, hence the cold-pressed pitch-black flax oil extraction process. On top of that and what alex2678 said, while flax oil does provide you w/ Omega-3, it's all ALA and your body only converts about 2~5% of this short-chain into long chain EPA & DHA.

Top Bottom