Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Government Regulation and Supplement Industry

Romeo78

Does anyone know if the government actually checks to see if supplement manufactures put what they say is in their products? Didn't Weider get busted on this a few years ago?

I am thinnking of doing a paper on the sup. industry, and this would help. I appreciate the feedback!:D

No, there is no regulation at all. This is upsetting, because you can claim anything and it is never checked. This is often why athletes claim steroid precursors are ineffective. So many manufacturers are not true to their label claims.

By the way, who is the paper for? I would be happy to help and would perhaps publish it here.

Thanks for the information George.

The paper is really going to be a free lance article. And I would appreciate any help, or advice you could give me.

Unfortunately, they generally don't. Pretty much the only time they step in is if a supplement is effective and cuts into the profits of pharmaceutical companies.

Supplements are regulated under DSHEA, but products are not checked for ingredient amts or quality...there are some companies and universities doing this, however. www.consumerlabs.com is one and www.supplementwatch.com uses a different approach - ranking products based on claims, efficacy, safety and value..

Both good sites for uniased info!

Thanks for all the info everyone. I am in my data gathering stage, and don't have a deadline to make. So wish me luck, and once again, thanks to all who have helped!:D

There was a story on the news (local Charlotte news) last month about protein and carb bars in it they said that the FDA did supposed studies claiming that the amount of protein and carbs stated on the labels were false. They claimed that 80% of the bars tested for carbs had higher amounts than what was labeled and 20% had lower protein than what was labeled. The only problem with that is there are no regulations at this time for what is proper carb and protein amounts. I could understand regulation for falsifying data, but how do you determine what the proper amount of carbs and protein are?

Top Bottom