Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Ginseng

slat1

I have been using Ginseng twice a day with green tea and liked the effects!

Siberian Ginseng General Information
Siberian Ginseng is not ginseng at all, but Russian scientists believe it functions like Ginseng, and so have promoted it as such. Siberian Ginseng has a general tonic effect on the body, in particular on the adrenal glands, helping the body to withstand heat, cold, infection, other physical stresses and radiation just like ginseng. It has even been given to astronauts to counter the effects of weightlessness. Siberian Ginseng is also less expensive than Panax Ginseng so many use it instead.

Siberian Ginseng Uses & Scientific Evidence For
Siberian Ginseng strengthens the adrenal and reproductive glands. It enhances immune function, helps prevent infection, promotes lung functioning and stimulates the appetite. It useful for bronchitis, circulatory problems, diabetes, infertility, lack of energy, and stress. There is some evidence that it can help ease withdrawal from cocaine, and help improve drug or alcohol induced liver dysfunction in older adults. Siberian Ginseng protects the body against the effects of radiation exposure. It is used by athletes for overall body strengthening. Siberian Ginseng is most effective in the treatment of prolonged exhaustion and debility, resulting from overwork and long-term stress.

Siberian Ginseng Safety & Interaction Information
Siberian Ginseng is a safe herb with low toxicity, but excessive amounts can cause headaches, insomnia, heart palpitations, or a rise in blood pressure in some people. Do not use if you have high blood pressure, heart disorders, asthma, insomnia, or if you are pregnant or nursing. Safety in young children, or those with severe kidney or liver disease is not known.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ginseng has traditionally been used for the following:
Fighting fatigue
Providing supplemental immune support
Providing energy through times of strenuous exercise programs
Supporting and stimulating efficient adrenal function
Helping with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

What Is In Ginseng And How Does It Work?

The action of Ginseng is attributed a combination of groups of glycosides, ginsenosides, and saponins. The net effect of these compounds is to provide "adaptogenic" support for the person taking Ginseng. It may seem loosely conceived, but the adaptogenic effects of Ginseng are well supported by good research. According to The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine,1 the term "adaptogen" has a specific set of criteria that must be satisfied before it can properly be attributed to a substance. These criteria, as stated in the above Encyclopedia, are that the substance:

1. Must be innocuous and cause minimal disorders in the physiological functions of an organism
2. Must have a nonspecific action (i.e., it should increase resistance to adverse influences by a wide range of physical, chemical, and biochemical factors)
3. Usually has a normalizing action irrespective of the direction of the pathologic state

Ginseng's Track Record

Ginseng has been:
-used by Soviet Cosmonauts in place of amphetamines (used by U.S. astronauts),
-used by Olympic athletes and was demonstrated to improve athletic performance by improving the body's ability to utilize oxygen,
-demonstrated to lessen the side effects of radiation and chemotherapy--it was distributed widely to those exposed to radiation during the Chernobyl accident, and
-shown to increase the activity and production of T lymphocytes.

How Much Ginseng, How Often?

As an encapsulated powder, 1 gram, 2-3 times daily. Take this for 6-8 weeks with a 2 week break before resuming the same regimen

Research and References for Ginseng:
Murray, Michael, ND, Pizzorno, Joseph, ND. Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, second ed. Prima Publishing, Rocklin. 1998.

Thanks for the info here. I used to use ginseng but sort of forgot about it. I remember reading several times that it is one of the only OTC's that have a significant ergogenic effect.

Oh yeah, and karma to you, friend. We at elite should encourage posts that add to the collective intillectual base!

I have tried Ginseng on several ocasions but find it makes me feel uncomfortable. Good info bro. Here is some k....

Nice post, but the only type of ginseng that has actually been studied extensively is Panax Ginseng , aka Chinese or Korean Ginseng.

I'm not aware of any proven ergogenic effects from american, siberian, or other types of ginseng. But that doesn't mean they aren't out there....if someone found a good study on ginseng, that'd be cool.

On a personal note, I'm not a big fan of naturopathic doctors (ND). They tend to be tree huggers and think every plant has miraculous healing powers.
;)

Top Bottom