Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Flaxseed- lowers Testosterone? and prostate cancer.

CYCLEON

MEDICINE
Flaxseed and a Low-Fat Diet Offer Protection Against Prostate Cancer

Prostate cancer is the leading cancer among American men. Now a pilot study suggests that flaxseed, in conjunction with a low-fat diet, may have a protective effect against the disease. The report, from researchers at Duke University Medical Center, appears in the July issue of the journal Urology.

Twenty-five men with prostate cancer who were awaiting surgery ate a low-fat diet and consumed three tablespoons (about 30 grams) of finely-ground flaxseed a day. The researchers took blood tests at the outset of the study to measure the subjects' prostate-specific antigen (PSA), testosterone and cholesterol levels. The men then followed the diet for an average of 34 days before undergoing surgery, at which point they were tested again and compared to an historic cancer case roughly matched in age, race and progression of the disease.

The scientists found that both the testosterone and cholesterol levels of the men decreased over the course of the study. And, although PSA levels in the general sample population did not decrease, when the men were classified according to the severity of their cancers, those with early-stage prostate cancer did show a decrease in PSA levels as well.

"It's not surprising that a diet therapy that was only taken for an average of 34 days had little effect on men with aggressive disease," lead author Wendy Demark-Wahnefried says. "But what we did see was that for the men on the diet, their tumor cells did not divide as quickly and there was a greater rate of apoptosis (tumor cell death) in this group."

The authors caution that the study's data "must be interpreted with caution" because it is impossible to determine if the benefits seen in this small, short trial were due to the flaxseed, the low-fat diet or a combination of the two. Randomized controlled trials are needed, they say, to reduce bias and error, as well as investigate the flaxseed and diet elements independently. —Sarah Graham

The scientists found that both the testosterone and cholesterol levels of the men decreased over the course of the study.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really hope that its not from the flax seed!!! happy about the prostate tho

Hmm, I saw that study and it sounded pretty definite about the flax lowering testosterone. In fact I believe many prostate cancer treatments lower test levels.

I wonder though if it would be OK to use DURING a cycle b/c your test is already very high? And then avoid it when not on?

I use flax oil but also a "3 omega blend" 3-6-9 product I get in the drugstore. I think this may be better than straight flax...

I hate to say it but I think a higher percentage of steroid users are going to get prostate cancer... nasty but probably true.

I don't get what the big deal is. I doubt quite highly it was the flax that decreased test - it was the low-fat diet. Low-fat diets have been proven to lower test levels. Their cholesterol went down because they weren't eating foods high in saturated fats. The change in the rate of development and break-down of cancer cells could also be due to something else. Honestly, I wouldn't put much stock in the study since they changed the diets of the test subjects aren't then added in some flax to see what happened. I mean come on, you can't change numerous things around and hope to accurately see how only one of the new factors affects the subjects. They even said at the end of the study that their conclusions weren't definitive.

Flax supplies your body with EFA's needed to make testosterone. Also, the omega-6 will help balance out your hormones. Its not the flax, its the diet...but stay away from green tea and soy...they will lower test

I'm thinking Flax lowered DHT levels... to tha people writing tha article they don't know shit, they probably think DHT is tha same as true T. And since DHT levels where lower for them it's tha same as writing that Testosterone levels where lowered, perhaps so that tha general public can understand it better. DHT levels are tha culprit for prostate cancer. New evidence is showing that HIGH Estrogen levels are also linked to Prostate cancer.

High E and High DHT = bad news.

low dosages of Arimidex and Proscar to combat? hmmm.

peace :fro:

hey neon,another question..what is this about green tea and/or soy lowering test levels?care to elaborate please

Top Bottom