Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

fish oil vs flax oil

cozmokramer

ok... I am a great supporter of FLAX and/or HEMP oil as I know that it is essential for getting EFAs

I've seen fish oil and cod liver oil popping up everywhere...
Does anyone know of any addition benefits these provide
oppossed to the flax/hemp oils...?

Go Fish oil

Hey,

Go fish oil. Forget the flax. Check this out

<<Because the conversion fromALA to EPA is quite limited, flaxseed oil does not appear to be a goodreplacement for fish oil for people with elevated triglycerides.3 4 ALA has also been reported to not reduce another risk factor forheart disease (excess platelet aggregation) the way fish oildoes.5 However, flaxseed oil may help lower cholesterol,6and research specific to flaxseed oil indicates that it may also lower blood pressure.>>

---But if you want an increased cancer risk, flax is the way to go:

<<Dietary levels of ALA have been reported toincrease mammary tumors in an animal study,11 and correlate withbreast cancer risk in a human preliminary report.12 The breastcancer study was of particular concern. Advocates of flaxseed oil attributea potential association between ALA and cancer to the fact that meatcontains ALA, thus implicating ALA when the real culprits are probablyother components of meat. In the breast
cancer trial, however, saturatedfat (and therefore probably meat) were taken into consideration. ALA stillcorrelated with increased risk.

In another trial, dietary ALA associated withincreased risk of advanced prostate cancer even after the effects ofsaturated and other fats were factored out.13>>

---The fact remains that fish oil is flax oil, except without these problems. The only EFAs in flax you need are EPA and DHA, found in fish oil concentrates. The positive effects that are exerted from flax are in the limited conversion of Alpha linoleic acid to the bio-available EPA and DHA, a conversion that is indeed very limited and requires roughly 10x as much flax oil to get the same effect as with fish oil concentrate. Also, this flax oil adds normal fat to your diet and increases caloric intake which might be better spent on protein or a complex carbs to aid recovery. Flax is also extremely unbalanced in its Omega-3: Omega-6 ratio and chronic use will result in Omega-6 deficiencies.

--For my money, I take 4 g of Atkins "Essential Oils" a day. This has the best balance of Omega-6 (Gla and isomers) and Omega-3 (DHA and EPA) of anything I have found. I also take 6 g of CLA a day, which has been shown to decrease fat storage and when taken in excess of 8 g / day has a mild anabolic effect .... emphasis on MILD, although no statistically significant difference was found between that group and the control.

Hope all this helps.
--NFG (New F---ing Guy)

CLA, the diggity Downlow

CLA stands for Conjugated Linoleic Acid.

I don't have the study reference for this one, but it has been shown to negative some of the negative effects of ALA, so if you have to take flax (which I wouldn't do) take CLA to off the effects. You are better off with fish oil or "Essential Oils" from Atkins pharmaceuticals (like he has a pharm company ... :fro: )

I would go with NOW brand CLA. It's not the most potent, but for your money, its by far and away the cheapest and this company is reputable. from dpsnutrition.com it costs me $12 for 90 caps at 1000g each (only 700 mg of the fat is cla though)

Pop 6 of these caps a day. The directions saying 3 are too low. Here is why:

Effects of CLA Supplementation During Resistance Training on Body Composition and Strength:

<<This study investigated the effects of CLA supplementation during resistance training on markers of catabolism, body composition, and strength.>>

This concluded: Results indicate that 28 days of CLA supplementation (5.6 g/day) did not significantly alter body composition in resistance-trained males. However, since there was evidence that CLA supplementation may affect catabolic activity and/or gains in strength, additional research is warranted.

Also:

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), an uncommon dietary lipid, is both anabolic and lipolytic in animals (Chin et al., J. Nutr. 124 (1994) : 2344-49; West et al., FASEB J. 11.3 (1997) : A599).

---I don't have the citation for this last one, but CLA was found to be effective in doing the final things:

1) Increasing insulin sensitivity in training male atheletes, this is especially pronounced and synergistic when used with chromium.

2) Increasing the action of hormone sensitive lipase (breaking down fat) and inhibits storage mechanisms by reducing the activity of lipoprotein lipase (stores it). The study didn't say how it does this, but I believe these effects are mediated through increased insulin sensitivity, since insulin directly regulates these two hormones. This also may account for the mild anabolic effects of this in dosages greater than 8g / day.

--summary is 6g a day won't break your bank, and it's a healthy fat.

--It has also been shown to be an anti-carcinogen, have anti-xidant properties and decrease the risk of prostate cancer

--I know that is a bunch of info to throw at you, but I think this is definitely something us bodybuilders should consider when planning a diet.

--New Guy

SInce most people here care more about transforming their physique then health, go with FISH OIL. Fish oil has very mild uncoupling effects along with being an excellent repartioning agent, same with CLA, albeit expensive.

Re: CLA, the diggity Downlow

NFG123 said:
CLA stands for Conjugated Linoleic Acid.

I don't have the study reference for this one, but it has been shown to negative some of the negative effects of ALA, so if you have to take flax (which I wouldn't do) take CLA to off the effects. You are better off with fish oil or "Essential Oils" from Atkins pharmaceuticals (like he has a pharm company ... :fro: )

I would go with NOW brand CLA. It's not the most potent, but for your money, its by far and away the cheapest and this company is reputable. from dpsnutrition.com it costs me $12 for 90 caps at 1000g each (only 700 mg of the fat is cla though)

Pop 6 of these caps a day. The directions saying 3 are too low. Here is why:

Effects of CLA Supplementation During Resistance Training on Body Composition and Strength:

<<This study investigated the effects of CLA supplementation during resistance training on markers of catabolism, body composition, and strength.>>

This concluded: Results indicate that 28 days of CLA supplementation (5.6 g/day) did not significantly alter body composition in resistance-trained males. However, since there was evidence that CLA supplementation may affect catabolic activity and/or gains in strength, additional research is warranted.

Also:

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), an uncommon dietary lipid, is both anabolic and lipolytic in animals (Chin et al., J. Nutr. 124 (1994) : 2344-49; West et al., FASEB J. 11.3 (1997) : A599).

---I don't have the citation for this last one, but CLA was found to be effective in doing the final things:

1) Increasing insulin sensitivity in training male atheletes, this is especially pronounced and synergistic when used with chromium.

2) Increasing the action of hormone sensitive lipase (breaking down fat) and inhibits storage mechanisms by reducing the activity of lipoprotein lipase (stores it). The study didn't say how it does this, but I believe these effects are mediated through increased insulin sensitivity, since insulin directly regulates these two hormones. This also may account for the mild anabolic effects of this in dosages greater than 8g / day.

--summary is 6g a day won't break your bank, and it's a healthy fat.

--It has also been shown to be an anti-carcinogen, have anti-xidant properties and decrease the risk of prostate cancer

--I know that is a bunch of info to throw at you, but I think this is definitely something us bodybuilders should consider when planning a diet.

--New Guy
any increased benefits in using Udo's Choice? It has omega 3, 6, 9

udo's choice... of what... fish oil or flax...?

I just bought the GNC brand fish oil capsules...

how is that?

Udo's choice has a great balance between the various omega's. It is costly but good shit.
Also, don't just get plain fish oils. Get Salmon Oil!!! It is higher in EPA and DHA which is the stuff you want. Norwegian Salmon Oil appears to have the highest values. I take Udo's Choice and Carlson's Norwegian Salmon Oil. When money is lower, or I run out of Udo's I just get some Flax to get me thru till I can get some more Udo's choice. I'm not familiar with Atkin's EFA product so I can't say how it stacks up to Udo's. All I know is that T-mag turned me on to Udo's and it seems like a great product.

Top Bottom