Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dextrose vs Maltodextrin

Magnússon said:
Dextrose has alot more calories also, I use about 50 post workout wtih whey and creatine.

Actually, maltodextrin and dextrose have almost identical calories; maltodextrin has about 368 cal/100 grams; dextrose has about 366 cal/100 grams.

You may be getting a higher calorie content due to volume differences (i.e. you are taking in a higer volume of dextrose in the same size of serving due to the difference in weight between the two). If you measure them equally though, they are almost the exact same calorically.

ThePolishHammer said:
So post workout, dextrose is slightly better for creating a mass building insulin spike?

I don't know for sure -- they are probably pretty comparable as they both have the same GI. Dextrose is sweeter and mixes better. You'd probably be fine with either.

dextrose is a simple sugar. maltodextrin is a polysaccharide comprised of glucose molecules. They are both very similar and have similar GI ratings and insulin release. You can use them interchangeably.

The best carbohydrate powder in my opinion is waxy maize. It's a high molecular weight carbohydrate. What that means is it shuttles what you take with it into muscle cells. It's great to take post workout with a high quality whey protein.

I use isolation from n2bm.com and waxy maize after each workout.

Maltodextrin isn't very sweet so it's a lousy choice since you;ll need more to get the same flavor as dextrose or sucrose.

Top Bottom