Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Dextrose post workout

mrzap

Post workout I have about 60 grams protein and 60 grams dextrose in my shake. Long term will this high sugar intake be bad for me?

I know having sugar all the time and throughout the day is bad, but if it is post workout only will I have problems with diabetes and other things if I continue this?

here is the formula take your lbs divide with 2. than that number X 0.5
that is how much u need dextrose.
if u lifted heavy u will not get fat from dextrose cause it goes directly to your muscles

I'm curious on this as well - anyone have any studies showing this dextrose intake post workout won't be harmful in the long run? I know some people are taking +100 grams of dextrose post workout.

Too many simple sugars post-workout will decrease your insulin sensitivity, add to your fat stores, and increase the risk of diabetes. That much is common sense.

However, your muscle glycogen stores are empty post-workout; plus, your muscles will be growing, and they need the carbs for that; proper amount of simple carbs, including dextrose, will not be harmfull.

You should be using a 50/50 dextrose/maltodextrin mix, by the way, not just dextrose itself.

Written by Bryan Haycock....

"There has been some controversy about which type of carbohydrate is best for post exercise glycogen replenishment. Some argue that simple sugars such as dextrose are best after exercise. Others say that drinks with glucose polymers are best. Still others say that there is no need to buy fancy sports drinks and that simply eating a meal high in carbohydrates such as pasta or rice is sufficient. Studies have shown no difference between different types of carbohydrates eaten post exercise and the rate of glycogen replenishment as long as sufficient quantities of carbohydrate are consumed (Burke 1997). "

"However, your muscle glycogen stores are empty post-workout; plus, your muscles will be growing, and they need the carbs for that; proper amount of simple carbs, including dextrose, will not be harmfull."

That's the thing though - your muscle glycogen stores won't be empty after working out, unless you ran a marathon or you're been on a CKD diet.

"You should be using a 50/50 dextrose/maltodextrin mix, by the way, not just dextrose itself."

Why?

I think the reasoning is that malto is a complex carb and dextrose is simple, but I don't see why that would matter. Both have a gi of 100 or 100+ if I remember correctly.

I am curious as to the reasoning as I do not even remotely claim to know everything about this.

Adding maltodextin, which is a complex carb, would decrease the osmosity of the solution, which will help with the proper timing of gastric emptying.

Here is the formula for post workouts:

(based on total reps in your workout):

CARBS:
12-72 Reps - 0.6 grams per kg of lean body mass
73-200 Reps - 0.8g/kg/LBM
200-360 Reps - 1.0/kg/LBM
360-450 Reps - 1.2/kg/LBM

PROTEIN:
0.6 grams per kg of lean body mass.

30-40% of carbs should come from fruit juices such as pineapple or grape juice, while the rest should come from Dextrose/Maltodrexin.

By the way, this is from Charles Poliquin who trains David Boston of San Diego Chargers, Chris Pronger of STL Blues, and many other athletes. He is well known and has written many books on fitness, nutrition and weight lifting. You may need to adjust it to your body.

Also, the key time to take protein and the rest of the carbs in is approx. 50 minutes to 1 hour after the Dextrose. This is when the Insulin spike is greatest.

PS: Karma is always welcome and is repaid!

whey protein with dextrose is probably the best thing for you after you workout, along with some bcaa's and l-glutamine, thats the one time your body will just soak it up and is desperate for the sugar and protein...the amount of protein seems high though but im not sure what your goal is - generally a 35/60 split or close to works best to absorb fast then eat a solid meal after about an hour

Top Bottom