Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Can supplements cause brain damage?

Assertive Guy

Just a begginer...
Platinum
Now, I'm a very peacefull person as anyone would call but on the inside I used to feel allot of anger. Once I began taking high doses of B12 I noticed all those feelings litterally disapear over a few weeks - 'GREAT!' I thought. I stopped the B vits months ago now and those feelings only surfaced on one occassion since...all good so far...

I bought some Vitamin C recently, started taking it and felt *unbelievably* good! It took all my stresses off - but it also took my connection to other people away. I feel autistic. Really. I stopped taking it a few days ago and things have not improved. I feel like my emotional IQ has dropped to 10%! I have no emotions - really, at least I dont feel them, and its directly since taking these two Vits its happened - wtf?!?!?!?

I take around 1-2 g's a day of Vit. C, used to take 5 g's, I know of a person that takes around 15g's a day of Vit. C, and have never heard of such a thing. Upped for more replies

Veretta9 said:
I take around 1-2 g's a day of Vit. C, used to take 5 g's, I know of a person that takes around 15g's a day of Vit. C, and have never heard of such a thing. Upped for more replies

Bump. Please, does anyone know anything about this, PM me...

Assertive Guy

Assertive Guy said:
Bump. Please, does anyone know anything about this, PM me...

Assertive Guy
My dear I will answer you here, better that way.

The vast majority of vitamins are excreted if our body does not need them. Certain vitamins, (A and E in particular) can build up if you take outrageous amounts of them, but for the most part it's pretty tough to nearly impossible to cause any kind of permanent, lasting damage with a vitamin, particularly vitamin C. If you were going to have anything go haywire your piss would start burning or something (from too much ascorbic acid), but again, that would be a condition that would pass.

Now if you're talking minerals, amino acids and herbs ... that's a whole different ballgame. You can fiddle around with brain chemistry with that stuff. Can you cause lasting damage??? :rolleyes: Sure, you can cause some major frigging damage with the right herbs and amino acids, trust me.

Our body's goal is to maintain homeostasis (balance/equilibrium) generally speaking, unless you actually totally frigging KILL yourself your body is always going to do whatever it takes to achieve that balance (in other words, rid itself of the excess).

Finally, back to vitamin C ... it's primarily an antioxidant, if anything, it would do your body good. It has nearly no effect, that I know of, directly, on brain functioning. They haven't found much that is natural that DOES have direct effect on brain functioning (okay, there was some stuff, but it was derived from cow brains and it's not available anymore due to Mad Cow. There is a vegetarian source, but no studies have been able to prove that it has any effect at all).

Before getting upset over IQ points, realize that it's natural to have a variation, particularly if they were different tests. A lot of things affect thought and cognition, not the least nutritional status, stress levels, and how well rested you are.

Also, our brains are like muscles, the more you use them the better they work. Geriatrics who engage in critical thinking regularly retain more of their brain function than someone who's sitting on the porch in a rocker ... I realize you're probably not a geriatric, but I'm just using this as an example that if someone in their golden years is able to improve their thought processes then certainly a substantially younger person would be able to, as well.

Just my $0.02 :qt:

Last edited:
i have never noticed any of these effect while using these vitamins
are there any shitty things going on in your life that could be doing this to ya
are you using any recd drugs or anabolics
i dont think these vits you are refering too will cause this
i could be wrong though

Thanks. No, I dont take any amino's or herbs at the mo an havn't touched any drugs in 3 years. I tried to read about any interactions B and C have with anit-psychotics or anit-depressants and Provigil since I take them But honestly, it was only when I took such high doses of the vits this happened, and stopped progressing immediately after finished with them.

I dont have any specific problems with my life beyond whats normal for me. Maybe I am a bit under-stimulated atm - I'll try and keep my mind active. Scary stuff.

musclemom said:
My dear I will answer you here, better that way.

The vast majority of vitamins are excreted if our body does not need them. Certain vitamins, (A and E in particular) can build up if you take outrageous amounts of them, but for the most part it's pretty tough to nearly impossible to cause any kind of permanent, lasting damage with a vitamin, particularly vitamin C. If you were going to have anything go haywire your piss would start burning or something (from too much ascorbic acid), but again, that would be a condition that would pass.

Now if you're talking minerals, amino acids and herbs ... that's a whole different ballgame. You can fiddle around with brain chemistry with that stuff. Can you cause lasting damage??? :rolleyes: Sure, you can cause some major frigging damage with the right herbs and amino acids, trust me.

Our body's goal is to maintain homeostasis (balance/equilibrium) generally speaking, unless you actually totally frigging KILL yourself your body is always going to do whatever it takes to achieve that balance (in other words, rid itself of the excess).

Finally, back to vitamin C ... it's primarily an antioxidant, if anything, it would do your body good. It has nearly no effect, that I know of, directly, on brain functioning. They haven't found much that is natural that DOES have direct effect on brain functioning (okay, there was some stuff, but it was derived from cow brains and it's not available anymore due to Mad Cow. There is a vegetarian source, but no studies have been able to prove that it has any effect at all).

Before getting upset over IQ points, realize that it's natural to have a variation, particularly if they were different tests. A lot of things affect thought and cognition, not the least nutritional status, stress levels, and how well rested you are.

Also, our brains are like muscles, the more you use them the better they work. Geriatrics who engage in critical thinking regularly retain more of their brain function than someone who's sitting on the porch in a rocker ... I realize you're probably not a geriatric, but I'm just using this as an example that if someone in their golden years is able to improve their thought processes then certainly a substantially younger person would be able to, as well.

Just my $0.02 :qt:

Lifterforlife said:
Here is something that may be useful to the poster, and others. Great site to check on interactions.

http://www.drugdigest.org/DD/Interaction/ChooseDrugs/1,4109,,00.html

*****edit...I did an interaction search between B12 and Vit. C. None were found. I was curious, I have been doing this regimine for many, many years myself.

Thanks for the site. The only interaction that came up, I know isn't a problem for me, but k.

Assertive Guy said:
Thanks for the site. The only interaction that came up, I know isn't a problem for me, but k.

Last night, I chucked the Vit C and B's I had that I'm certain had this effect. I have an order for Megaman I'll probabily bin, and will be sticking to cheap supermarket Multi's.

Does anyone have any more info, please? I didnt bounce back to my normal self after discontinuing use, but have not been stressed or aggressive, or at very least not known I was feeling either since I finished taking them. I think that's a plus. But at the same time this has meant I cannot read people at all in terms of body language, tone of voice etc like I used to.

From my point of view I'm concerned since these supplement's are supposed to be amongst the safest there are!

Assertive Guy

Last edited:
Top Bottom