Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Arachidonic acid...your thoughts?

sundevil04

I use to hear so much about this supp on boards and it seems to have faded and now possibly making a comeback.

Can anyone that's had experience with this product let me know what they thought of it?

what type of food is it found in or where do you get it from? Never heard of it but shit like this always intrigues me.

Great if you want cancer.

No.
Arachidonic acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid in our diets (meat products), and made by our bodies. It doesn't cause cancer (AFAIK).

It may help with anabolism after workouts, but it is also a precursor to prostaglandin synthesis, which potentially has many positive and negative effects. Not sure if it is worth supplementing, and don't feel like researching it right now :)

If you Google search you will see LOTS of great reviews. I have no clue how you guys don't know about this product. Serious Nutrition Solutions has the best quality by far. Are you guys only on this board? I recommend joining at least two other forums. Youre missing out on a lot of great stuff

Sent from my VS910 4G using EliteFitness

If you Google search you will see LOTS of great reviews. I have no clue how you guys don't know about this product. Serious Nutrition Solutions has the best quality by far. Are you guys only on this board? I recommend joining at least two other forums. Youre missing out on a lot of great stuff

Sent from my VS910 4G using EliteFitness

Anything pro inflammatory I have no desire to mess with

No.
Arachidonic acid is a polyunsaturated fatty acid in our diets (meat products), and made by our bodies. It doesn't cause cancer (AFAIK).

It may help with anabolism after workouts, but it is also a precursor to prostaglandin synthesis, which potentially has many positive and negative effects. Not sure if it is worth supplementing, and don't feel like researching it right now :)

Arachidonic Acid Stimulates Prostate Cancer Cell Growth: Critical Role of 5-Lipoxygenase

Arachidonic acid metabolism in human prostate ca... [Int J Oncol. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Inhibition of arachidonate 5-lipoxygenase triggers massive apoptosis in human prostate cancer cells

Cells supplied with exogenous AA show increased production of an eicosanoid, PGE2, which in turn decreases production of tumor necrosis factor (TNF), a type of cytokine that induces programmed cell death (apoptosis) in tumor cells. [7] This becomes relevant to cancer promotion; less TNF means less immune system control over tumor cells.

Research seems to suggest that promotion of AA metabolism promotes breast, prostate, and colon cancer, while inhibition of AA metabolism, even using aspirin or other COX2 inhibitor NSAIDs, reduces occurrence of these, the most common cancers in the United States.

Dietary intake of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids and the risk of prostate cancer.

Leitzmann MF, Stampfer MJ, Michaud DS, Augustsson K, Colditz GC, Willett WC, Giovannucci EL.
Source

Nutritional Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Laboratory studies have shown that n-3 fatty acids inhibit and n-6 fatty acids stimulate prostate tumor growth, but whether the dietary intake of these fatty acids affects prostate cancer risk in humans remains unclear.
OBJECTIVE:

We prospectively evaluated the association between intakes of alpha-linolenic (ALA; 18:3n-3), eicosapentaenoic (EPA; 20:5n-3), docosahexaenoic (DHA; 22:6n-3), linoleic (LA; 18:2n-6), and arachidonic (AA; 20:4n-6) acids and prostate cancer risk.
DESIGN:

A cohort of 47 866 US men aged 40-75 y with no cancer history in 1986 was followed for 14 y.
RESULTS:

During follow-up, 2965 new cases of total prostate cancer were ascertained, 448 of which were advanced prostate cancer. ALA intake was unrelated to the risk of total prostate cancer. In contrast, the multivariate relative risks (RRs) of advanced prostate cancer from comparisons of extreme quintiles of ALA from nonanimal sources and ALA from meat and dairy sources were 2.02 (95% CI: 1.35, 3.03) and 1.53 (0.88, 2.66), respectively. EPA and DHA intakes were related to lower prostate cancer risk. The multivariate RRs of total and advanced prostate cancer from comparisons of extreme quintiles of the combination of EPA and DHA were 0.89 (0.77, 1.04) and 0.74 (0.49, 1.08), respectively. LA and AA intakes were unrelated to the risk of prostate cancer. The multivariate RR of advanced prostate cancer from a comparison of extreme quintiles of the ratio of LA to ALA was 0.62 (0.45, 0.86).
CONCLUSIONS:

Increased dietary intakes of ALA may increase the risk of advanced prostate cancer. In contrast, EPA and DHA intakes may reduce the risk of total and advanced prostate cancer.

Dietary intake of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids and the risk of prostate cancer.

Leitzmann MF, Stampfer MJ, Michaud DS, Augustsson K, Colditz GC, Willett WC, Giovannucci EL.
Source

Nutritional Epidemiology Branch, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA. [email protected]

Abstract

BACKGROUND:

Laboratory studies have shown that n-3 fatty acids inhibit and n-6 fatty acids stimulate prostate tumor growth, but whether the dietary intake of these fatty acids affects prostate cancer risk in humans remains unclear.
OBJECTIVE:

We prospectively evaluated the association between intakes of alpha-linolenic (ALA; 18:3n-3), eicosapentaenoic (EPA; 20:5n-3), docosahexaenoic (DHA; 22:6n-3), linoleic (LA; 18:2n-6), and arachidonic (AA; 20:4n-6) acids and prostate cancer risk.
DESIGN:

A cohort of 47 866 US men aged 40-75 y with no cancer history in 1986 was followed for 14 y.
RESULTS:

During follow-up, 2965 new cases of total prostate cancer were ascertained, 448 of which were advanced prostate cancer. ALA intake was unrelated to the risk of total prostate cancer. In contrast, the multivariate relative risks (RRs) of advanced prostate cancer from comparisons of extreme quintiles of ALA from nonanimal sources and ALA from meat and dairy sources were 2.02 (95% CI: 1.35, 3.03) and 1.53 (0.88, 2.66), respectively. EPA and DHA intakes were related to lower prostate cancer risk. The multivariate RRs of total and advanced prostate cancer from comparisons of extreme quintiles of the combination of EPA and DHA were 0.89 (0.77, 1.04) and 0.74 (0.49, 1.08), respectively. LA and AA intakes were unrelated to the risk of prostate cancer. The multivariate RR of advanced prostate cancer from a comparison of extreme quintiles of the ratio of LA to ALA was 0.62 (0.45, 0.86).
CONCLUSIONS:

Increased dietary intakes of ALA may increase the risk of advanced prostate cancer. In contrast, EPA and DHA intakes may reduce the risk of total and advanced prostate cancer.

One positive study against dozens of negative studies. It's your body do what you want.

Top Bottom