Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Another reason to take your fish oil

muskate

High End Bro
Platinum
As part of my masters program, I am working on a literature review on the effects of omega 3 fatty acid supplementation on increasing muscle mass.

"Available evidence from human studies supporting the theory of a direct effect of LCn-3PUFAs on muscle protein anabolism, muscle strength and functional capacity is limited, but are shown to be effective in the absence or presence of exercise; a well-established effective strategy for maintaining and/or gaining muscle mass [48, 49]. For instance, even in the absence of strength training exercise program, a 6-month study which investigated the potency of fish oil-derived LCn-3PUFAs in attenuating aging-linked loss of muscle mass and function in healthy older adults (aged 60-85 yr), found statistically significant increases in handgrip strength (2.3 kg), one-repetition maximum (1-RM) muscle strength (4%), and thigh muscle volume (3.6%) occurred in the LCn-3PUFAs group relative to the corn oil control group [50]. Instructively, although the improvements in skeletal muscle mass and function as a result of LCn-3PUFA treatment were less than the results reported in a similar study [27], which had a strength training regimen, they correspond to or surpass those induced by various hormonal therapies such as testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone [50-52]. "

In other words, omega 3 supplementation from fish oil increased muscle size and strength more then hormonal therapies such as testosterone and dehydroepiandrosterone.

A 3.6% increase in muscle mass was seen, even in the absence of resistance training.

Was this experiment done on people with well balanced diets, or those with random or fish oil lacking nutrition?

This is some quite insightful information here! Thanks for sharing it - good thing that I am already taking fish oil on a daily basis. The previously known benefits were enough for me, but with these additional ones, I just can't resist the temptation of this supplement.

we had a talk about this on the most recent podcast #55.

if you go to the supermarket and look at what people are buying, or look in someones fridge you see 0 omega 3's. and people wonder why they have heart problems. dudes are getting heart attacks in their 30's these days

Top Bottom