Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Absolute BEST antioxidants?

smokinghawk

Other than the usual stuff (vitamins C and E, ALA), I'm trying to find the best antioxidant substances, and perhaps even the best single products that supply them (Radox seems to lead).

Among those I've found (there are hundreds; these stand out as some of the better ones):

Astaxanthin
CoQ10
Lutein
OPC's from grape seed extract
Catechins from green tea
Lycopene from tomato seeds
Ginko leaf
Blueberry, prune, and raisin skin
Microhydrin
Beta carotine
Quercetin

I've read up on most of those (haven't heard of Microhydrin) and think the only ones that are essential are the grapeseed and CoQ10. The lycopene and blueberry are very beneficial but of course you can get plenty through a good diet. I'm thinking about lutein and a caratenoid with the amount of time I spend staring at my computer monitor.

thx9000 said:
whats yours thoughts on Astaxanthin?

Well, I've seen a few caratanoid complexes and since Astaxanthin is a caratenoid, look for a mix that includes a good amount. It looks great from what little I've read about it. Then again I've read great things about nearly every antioxidant. Personally I need tons of solid research and/or feedback before I'm sold on a product or substance.

ALA--helps restore Vitamin C and Vitamin E levels.
CoQ10
Glutathione, or the precursors
True grapeseed extract

BackDoc said:
ALA--helps restore Vitamin C and Vitamin E levels.
CoQ10
Glutathione, or the precursors
True grapeseed extract

I've read that the absorption of glutathione is very poor and a precursor such as NAC is much better.

A very good anti-oxydant supp. is Solgar's Gold Specifics - Antioxydant Support.
It's one of the best out there.

Here are the specs:

Vitamin A
(100% as natural beta carotene
from D. salina, carrot) 5000 IU

Vitamin C
(as calcium, potassium, magnesium
and zinc ascorbates) 200 mg 333%

Vitamin E
(as D-alpha tocopheryl succinate) 100 IU

Zinc (as zinc glycinate†) 10 mg 67%

Selenium (as L-selenomethionine) 25 mcg

Copper (as copper glycinate†) 1 mg

Lycopene (from tomato) 1 mg

Lutein (from marigold flower) 1 mg

Zeaxanthin (from marigold flower) 50 mcg

Carotenoid Blend
(phytoene, phytofluene, and zeta carotene) 80 mcg

Gamma Tocopherol 50 mg

Tocotrienols
(as alpha, beta, gamma and delta) 15 mg

Alpha Lipoic Acid 30 mg

N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) 100 mg

Standardized Fruit Polyphenols
(phenolics 10 mg [40%] as apple,
cherry, prune, apricot/nectarine,
pomegranate) 25 mg

Grape Seed Extract
(phenolics 14 mg [95%]) 15 mg

Pine Bark Extract
(phenolics 9 mg [60%]) 15 mg

Standardized Ginkgo Biloba Extract
(leaf) (ginkgoflavoglycosides 4 mg [24%],
terpene lactones 1 mg [6%]) 15 mg

Standardized Turmeric Extract
(root) (curcuminoids 14 mg [95%]) 15 mg

Standardized Bilberry Extract
(berry) (anthocyanosides 4 mg [25%]) 15 mg

Standardized Green Tea Extract
(leaf) (polyphenols 8 mg [50%]) 15 mg

u4ik_RAGE said:

I've read that the absorption of glutathione is very poor and a precursor such as NAC is much better.

Yes to some extent that is true. Glutathione's molecular structure is really no different than that of a very very long chain amino acid, which means most of it will likely be broken down. Depending on dose, some may make it to circulation intact. There are some glutathione supplements that may have found a way to allow it better absorption from the gut, but again you pay an arm and a leg for it. For this reason I personally prefer a precursor. Yes, NAC is one route. ALA is an even cheaper route. Glutamine IMO is the best route. I feel NAC and ALA need to be taken at specific times of the day for antioxidant support as they may chelate necessary minerals. This will not happen with glutamine, which basically takes the guesswork out of the equation.

BackDoc said:

I feel NAC and ALA need to be taken at specific times of the day for antioxidant support as they may chelate necessary minerals.

What times of the day do you think are good? Thanks.

Top Bottom