Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

**5-HTP --- A Flook?**

Benzi

i just visited my docter today and had a discussion on antidepressants. Then we started talkin about seratonin and what it's all about. When i suggested 5-HTP as a means to increase levels he said 5-HTP is an amino and is incapable in crossing the blood-brain barrier. Risky, others, What are your thoughts on this?

You didn't ask my input...not my intention to get involved unwanted.

Some studies have apparently shown that 5-HTP elevate certain neurotransmitters located in the CNS and brain. Whether or not it actually crosses the BBB is almost moot if it does in fact elevate key neurotransmitters.

However, my opinion is that is probably does cross the BBB since it is a downstream metabolite of tryptophan (correct me if I'm mistaken)...I've forgotten a lot about supplements, but I'm trying to get back up to speed.

You doc needs to quit talkin out his ass and do some research. Another arrogent prick that thinks he knows everything and does not realize his advanced education also made him all the more brainwashed.

Your doctor is ignorant

Check out w w w . b i o p s y c h i a t r y . com / r e f s / i n d e x . h t m l

then choose the 5-HTP link and he will find that it does cross the blood brain barrier, does help with depression along with a whole slew of other substances such as omega 3 oils. It is safe and very effectively rises the levels of 5-HT otherwise known as serotonin. Doctors want a monopoly on power and knowledge.

Do not give him excessive reverence or otherwise you will end up going to his bible study group - which of course - he also teaches. Doctors should not be the monopolizers of truth and received vision.

From what I've heard from reports of users it does elevate mood slightly and decrease desire to eat carbs (that idea i think was started my t-mag) and some people used it successfully for that purpose. Drawback is price and needs to be in high doses.

Benzi said:
i just visited my docter today and had a discussion on antidepressants. Then we started talkin about seratonin and what it's all about. When i suggested 5-HTP as a means to increase levels he said 5-HTP is an amino and is incapable in crossing the blood-brain barrier. Risky, others, What are your thoughts on this?

This does not suprise me at all. In fact, if I went to a doctor requesting information on the dynamics of serotonin and 5-htp, the last thing I would expect is accurate information.

Last edited:
Doctors and their misinformation... thanks to boards like this many misconsetions can be cleared up.
Thanks to all who replied, besides the first guy:)

Just posting this to clear any uncertainty on the matter of whether or not 5-htp crosses the blood-brain barrier. In addition, this brief abstract may be useful to Benzi if he wants to show it to his doctor to spit in his face.

From Pubmed:

Altern Med Rev 1998 Aug;3(4):271-80

5-Hydroxytryptophan: a clinically-effective serotonin precursor.

Birdsall TC.

5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) is the intermediate metabolite of the essential amino acid L-tryptophan (LT) in the biosynthesis of serotonin. Intestinal absorption of 5-HTP does not require the presence of a transport molecule, and is not affected by the presence of other amino acids; therefore it may be taken with meals without reducing its effectiveness. Unlike LT, 5-HTP cannot be shunted into niacin or protein production. Therapeutic use of 5-HTP bypasses the conversion of LT into 5-HTP by the enzyme tryptophan hydroxylase, which is the rate-limiting step in the synthesis of serotonin. 5-HTP is well absorbed from an oral dose, with about 70 percent ending up in the bloodstream. It easily crosses the blood-brain barrier and effectively increases central nervous system (CNS) synthesis of serotonin. In the CNS, serotonin levels have been implicated in the regulation of sleep, depression, anxiety, aggression, appetite, temperature, sexual behaviour, and pain sensation. Therapeutic administration of 5-HTP has been shown to be effective in treating a wide variety of conditions, including depression, fibromyalgia, binge eating associated with obesity, chronic headaches, and insomnia.

5-HTP at Beyond a Century

Beyond a Century carries bulk 5-HTP at a reasonable per unit price. You can easily find out for yourself if it helps you cutting or mellow your mood or prepare yourself for sleep, your choice.
Doctors do not want to believe in anything except that for the medications for which they prescribe.

The above reference from Pub Med is basically the same as the
biopsychiatry link which I highly recommend to others researching alternative medications for depression and related conditions. 5-HTP could be considered a roid rage modulator. Here is the reasoning. If they gave Prozac to Tyson the Boxing Champ to mellow him out and curb his aggression - then maybe 5-HTP would work to control excess roid rage. Just a thought.

If you told doctors that you use 1-Test, then probably 80 out of a hundred would tell you to stop taking it. In other words, "just say no to Steroids". I say just say no to thought control.

I need some 5-HTP to mellow out now as I am all worked up about this issue.

Top Bottom