Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Longer average lifespans.. is the xtra years worth it?

Jim Layhoe

With technologicall advances daily, more and more people are leading longer lives then their predecessors.
My question to you is, are the extra years gained over time worth the suffering?
In the near future we will have the means(if we already don't)to extent the average life span by about 10 years.
Think about what the average lifespan will be in 100 years.
This senario poses many problems that i will not get into, yet i feel it is worth bringing up.

What are some peoples point of view on this?

------------------
barbell_rotate_lg_wht.gif
JIM LAYHOE [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Jim Layhoe (edited September 13, 2000).]

Well, the thought of longer life is great, but that does not mean a better life.
It doesn't mean your friends or family will still be arround. Think of how bored old people look in old age homes already? Another 10-15 years of that shit will make you feel like your "doing time."
All issues that are here know will be magnified.

How will you pay for basic needs?
Old age pensions suck as they are know, add a few more years of cut-backs,plus more seniors living longer lifes and that to me is suffering.

------------------
barbell_rotate_lg_wht.gif
JIM LAYHOE [email protected]

ya, we're not adding years to life, but we're actually kinda adding years to death..

~leaf~

you will only suffer if you let yourself suffer. i plan to keep myself in good shape all my life. screw retirement funds, i plan to save enough money so it will work for me. then you have nanotechnology, and emerging gene therapies...all i have to say is never underestimate the rate of technological advancement. it will more than likely blow all of our predictions away. hell, in 30 years the computer sitting in front of me may very well be 10,000x more powerful the one i'm using now.

There is no rule which says that when you turn seventy or so that you have to move into a retirement village and rot. Don't be like those people who buy into socially defined roles. I think most people become a certain way because they hold the belief that that is how youu are meant to be at a certain age. Being healthy is about extending quality life-time years so that you won't have to rot in a retirement village like those people who have heart disease or adult-onset diabetes because they have eaten white bread all their lives :>

If you look after yourself then advances in medicine won't matter because you won't need them because you won't have the problems that they are designed to cure in the first place.

I strongly suspect (although I doubt it is proven) that you have a genetically determined life expectancy. You just need to maximise it by being really healthy and ensuring that you are fit and well until the day you slip away in your sleep.

I don't want to live longer, but I want to keep young for longer.

------------------
Max London UK

Great posts already.

I personally do not think that the key to living longer is going to be found in gene therapy and technologies--at least not in the near future. Already we are seeing that Molly the sheep is having health problems--so as far as we've come in terms of trying to solve the riddle of the gene, it will ultimately lead to the possibility that we could be inventing new diseases and viruses and bacteria with our genetic tampering.

As far as finding a way to live longer, don't expect much help from the government and certain health organizations...their primary concern at this point is in trying to find a way to accomodate how to feed an ever increasing population. If we all live to be 100, then we'll have a sure food shortage based on what we can do agriculturally right now. Well of course, that means that we might have to engineer more artificial foods. I can't help but see this as a vicious cycle just waiting to happen.

The best lessons have already been learned from the generation that is venerable right now: they said they wanted "to grow old gracefully". We're seeing that there's no such thing if you don't exercise, eat sensibly and use nutritional supplements. So our generation's policy should be to "live as old as you can as young as you can".

Don't get me wrong, some medical advancements are wonderful. But look at some of the research such as in "new and fascinating" cancer treatments and heart disease treatments and you'll see that they're extracting parts from certain nutritional supplements! Hell, even vincristine, an effective chemotherapy drug is derived from an herb!

Everybody seems to be correct to me: live longer when you stay active and eat right and take as few medicines as you can. That's how I beat cancer, and I think it's the answer in front of us.

Top Bottom