Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

DAILY GLUTAMINE INTAKE

DIRTY LUKE

I THOUGHT I'M SUPPOSE TO TAKE 10G AFTER WORKOUT AND ANOTHER 10 BEFORE BED
I WENT TO MUSCLE MAG TODAY AND THE SEXY GIRL THERE TOLD ME THAT YOUR BODY CAN ONLY ABSORB
15G PER DAY WHAT'S WITH THIS? LUKE

Hey bro it has been suggested that glutamine is a powerful insulin secretagogue, meaning it boosts the output of insulin when consumed. This is both good and bad for the endurance athlete if that is the case. Because insulin is a very powerful anabolic hormone, increasing its levels during meals will ensure the transport of nutrients into muscle and other tissue cells. This may allow more glucose to be stored as glycogen; pump needed amino acids and certain ions into stressed muscle cells; stimulate protein, RNA and DNA synthesis; and inhibit glycogen and protein breakdown.
However, if it is true that glutamine is such a powerful insulin stimulator, consuming it before or during exercise could be problematic. A steep rise in insulin before or during exercise, as most of you know, will cause blood sugar levels to fluctuate substantially. This can cause hypoglycemia and prevent a proper supply of energy to the working muscles.Research has found that there is no rise in insulin after consuming a bolus of glutamine by itself (Varnier). But it has been shown that glutamine along with a carbohydrate meal does increase glycogen storage. For some unknown reason glutamine, much like insulin, triggers cells to take up glucose. It wasn't insulin that got me in trouble during that ride, it was glutamine itself. By some unknown mechanism, glutamine seems to cause an insulin-like shift of blood sugars and other substrates into body tissues. This makes glutamine a potentially valuable supplement for recovery and carbo loading. Glutamine is very safe, and there are no reports of toxic side effects from dietary supplementation of this amino acid. Most glutamine is extracted from beet protein. It doesn't taste bad either; glutamine has a rather bland, tasteless flavor to it. The problem with ingesting glutamine is the fact that it isn't very soluble in water. When you mix the stuff it tends to settle out at the bottom; it kind of looks like fine white sand at the bottom of your glass.One problem with glutamine and the reason why you will not find it in premixed beverages is that it breaks down into pyroglutamic acid and ammonia when it is in contact with moisture for a period of time. That means you shouldn¹t premix glutamine in a drink for later use. You should mix and drink it right away. It was once thought that ingested glutamine was almost completely metabolized by the gastrointestinal tract and very little reached circulation (Elia). However, there is now substantial evidence that food intake can influence plasma glutamine levels, and research has shown up to a 29% increase in plasma glutamine after a meal, especially one with a substantial protein content (Castell). Furthermore, when pure glutamine is ingested, its appearance in the plasma has been reported to be dose-related in nature­the more you consume, the more that enters circulation.

However, remember that when a lot of glutamine enters circulation the liver is quick to scoop up those large quantities in an attempt normalize things. The liver then converts that glutamine to glucose and glycogen, alanine, and triglycerides­not necessarily a bad thing in itself but you can do the same thing a lot more cheaply by simply taking in some carbohydrates. Instead, consume 2-5 grams of glutamine at a time three or four times a day spread out. That will allow the glutamine to go where it¹s supposed to­the muscles.

???????
TBM

Top Bottom