Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

nite time snacks, water, and a new eating disorder

dEgeNeRaTe8211

This is my first post on this diet discussion board. I've hung around the women's discussion board previously, just reading everything of interest but not much of a participant. I've been reading up a lot on this board and it seems like more of the board that I would like to be at.

Maybe you guys can help me out here. Well I eat dinner around 6:30 to 7 or so. After that, I shower, get stuff ready for the next day, organize, and a whole buncha other stuff. I get to bed at like 11:30. I'm not one who falls asleep immediately so I lay in bed for a half hour. When I'm lying there, I get so hungry my stomach growls and keeps me awake. But I dunno what and when I should eat after dinner so I don't starve in bed.

Also, everyone on every board on this site says they drink at least a gallon of water a day. I was just wondering how you can even consume that much water! I've tried that, brought nearly a gallon to school in a buncha little plastic dasani bottles. I finished barely 2 of those, tried drinking them throughout the course of the day. I ended up peeing every passing period and had only a sip sixth period. I just am not thirsty. Do you guys force yourselves to drink it all?

I'm not exactly looking to lose fat or build muscle or anything. I'm satisfied with what I have and determined to keep it for the rest of my life. I'm young, 15, 5'2", 115 lbs. and in my opinion, a reasonably clean diet. Soccer gives me cardio 4-5 times a week for 2 hours each time and ab exercises 4-5 times a week as well. Any other info you need for me to help you out to help me out --whatever-- well just ask what you want to know.

I also heard something about a new eating disorder. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about it. I know two of my friends definitely do this, and I want to know if I should tell them they have a disorder. Well they have no breakfast and no lunch, basically nothing until afterschool at like 3:30. They get home and eat everything in their house. They don't throw it all up though, so it's not bulimia. And because they leave it in their system, they don't believe anything is wrong them because they eat. Well, I just wanted to know a little more about this if anyone knows anything.

Thanx, later.

~dE

hey dude I hope I can help a little.
#1 don't know anything about the eating disorder, it doesn't sound like your friends have any real problems --- just bad habits --
#2 LOL, if your hungry go ahead and eat some food. it doesn't matter that it's late at night, your body still needs energy even though your asleep.
#3 water is a big deal. I don't know if you drink any other fluids throughout the day but I can tell you that once I quit drinking soda I could drink so much more water. at 5'2" 115 and just looking to stay in shape you should probably drink about 64 oz of water a day. drink alot in the morning, and spread it out through the day. it's really not a big deal.

I used to have the same problem..really wanting to eat after dinner. But since I started eating good meals during the day (I eat 5-6 meals a day) it really helped. In fact, tonight I only ate a medium sized dinner and felt satisfied, when normally I would have a huge meal for dinner.
As far as eating disorders go, it doesn't matter what they are called (anorexia, bulimia etc), the issue is that a person has a bad relationship with food. Maybe you could encourage your friends to eat good breakfasts and make lunch an enjoyable healthy group experience. Most people who don't eat in the morning then binge later in the day end up eating more, and it usually means they lose control as the day progresses...no good. In my work as a psychologist there are heaps of different screwed up eating patterns, but they can all be overcome if the person is willing

------------------
God give me the strength to lift all I can, the humility to accept what I can't lift, the wisdom to know the difference, and the determination to close the gap!!!

Keep drinking that water and get used to the fact that you're going to pee a lot. Your body will soon adjust and it won't always be so bad. I know having to visit school bathrooms really sucks! Just remember, if you don't drink enough water, the liver must step in and help the kidneys. When it's helping the kidneys, the liver doesn't get to do it's real job which is metabolize fat, so more fat gets stored. If you want to perform at your peak, be it physically or academically, your body must be hydrated.

As for these friends of yours...

Eating nothing all day until after school and then gorging will make your friends FAT. They might be able to keep this up for awhile, but eventually age and a slower metabolism will catch up with them. Plus, not eating breakfast and lunch is doing a number on their blood sugar, putting their bodies in starvation mode every day, so when they do eat, a higher proportion of the calories will be stored as fat.

In addition to starving their bodies, they're starving their brains, and this will affect their mental performance in school. I'd also be willing to bet that when your friends DO eat, that they're filling up on a lot of junk, which isn't doing them any favors.

I used to do this, and thought I was really getting away with something. It caught up with me though, and let me tell you...the body will definitely demand pay backs for abuse!

I'd say I get down 3 liters a day--the more you drink, the less your body hangs on to every drop of water and thus you never bloat up.

I think your friends are setting themselves up to binge. Your metabolism hums along when it's stoked (like a furnace) every 3-4 hours. even if it's just some fruit or a yogurt or a protein bar, or some low-fat, low-salt ham.

If you're fine where you are, have a glass of milk (maybe with a little protein powder) before bed. the amino acids in milk help me get to sleep, as well.

It sounds so boring, I know, but setting up good food habits and attitudes now will serve you all life long. One day, you'll be 25 and your girlfriends will be crash dieting and freaking out about every bite of food, and you'll know the tricks and not have to worry.

Taking in the water gets easier and easier, your body gets used to the fact that its going to get water again soon, so it passes through your system. Yes unfortunenatly that means more trips to the bathroom but you will probably start getting thirsty quicker even though your drinking alot more than you used to. So in short the water drinking gets easier with time ALOT easier. They way you do your water with a gallon and cups sounds like a pain in the ass. I use a 16oz plastic bottle that at one time contained flavored water. 4 of those and I'm set

Well thank you, everyone helping me out here. I appreciate it so much. I've decided to gradually increase my water consumption by the cup every other day or so til I get up there with you guys. I'm happy now that I won't be starving in bed now, and I can't wait to tell my friends what's ahead for them with their eating habits. Thanks for all the tips and helpful advice.

~dE

Do not tell your friends they will get fat from their current eating habits. Technically they are bulimics since they alternate periods of bingeing with periods of purging (can be vomiting, laxative abuse, excessive exercise, or fasting). The best thing you can do is tell them you think they have a problem and if they want to talk then they can come to you. Don't insist they get help or they will just push you away.

Start Drinking early and don't stop until you go to bed.

You should never be hungry.....especially at night. have a protein supplement. Or yogurt and grapefruit. A handfull of peanuts.....more water.

Top Bottom