Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Gynocomastia: Years of Concealment

George Spellwin

The Architect
Staff member
Administrator
Elite Moderator
(ABCNEWS) Intimate Condition
Rarely Discussed But Common Male Problem

March 23 — Though up to a third of all men are afflicted with gynecomastia at some point in their lives, most men feel uncomfortable talking about it.

Perhaps that is because gynecomastia is a Greek term that literally means "female-like breasts." It often affects young men who are already struggling with the challenges of puberty.
Years of Concealment

Eric Ayuso, 29, and 32-year-old "Frank" (he asked that his real name not be used) were both ashamed of their breasts. They did everything they could to keep them concealed. Both men wore mostly loose clothing. They felt uncomfortable in locker rooms or at the beach — anywhere where others might catch a glimpse of their chests.

Ayuso remembers first becoming aware of his gynecomastia when he was 13. He and other kids from the neighborhood were cooling off in the spray of a fire hydrant on a hot summer day. His wet T-shirt became plastered to his chest and an older boy whistled and hurled ruthless insults.

"I felt very embarrassed," he recalls. "I pulled my shirt out so no one would look."

For Ayuso, it was the beginning of years of concealment.

Frank also suffered cruel taunts from his peers while growing up. "I think that has served to push me away from the beaches, push me away from the swimming pools, push me away from situations where my chest could be exposed," he says.

The Doctor Understands

But both Ayuso and Frank have found a solution to their discomfort.

They are working with New York plastic surgeon Dr. Elliot Jacobs to remove their enlarged breasts. The procedure that Jacobs developed combines liposuction and external ultrasound. In most cases, nothing more than one small and inconspicuous incision is required.

Jacobs says the condition and the shame that accompanies it can be very destructive to a patient's mental health.

"We can even talk about erectile dysfunction," he says. "But men will not talk about enlarged breasts to their family, friends, lovers … anybody. They just suffer in silence."

Jacobs has a special interest in treating gynecomastia because he too suffers from the condition; he too has endured embarrassment and ridicule since developing breasts as an adolescent.

"I had one girlfriend say to me, 'You need a bra.' That hurts," he says. "I would go out to buy a suit off the rack and the salesperson said to me, 'You're a little chesty, aren't you?' with a wink, a little sarcasm. That hurts."

Because his techniques are not widespread — and he could not perform the procedure on himself — he has not had the surgery to remove his own breasts.

"I think of myself as a shoemaker with holes in his shoes, and never quite gets a chance to repair his own shoes," he says.

Liberating Results

The procedure costs about $5,000 and takes only about 90 minutes. Patients can expect a full recovery within six to eight weeks, Jacobs says.

He says that he has seen dramatic improvements in patients' self-image after the corrective surgery.

"They feel more confident, more masculine," he says. "And that increase in self-esteem is immeasurable because it reverberates through all phases of their lives."

Frank says he feels personally liberated by the surgery.

"I wear whatever clothes I want to wear," he says. "I go wherever I want."

Ayuso also feels better about the way he looks. "I don't need to do anything except be myself, be happy with myself," he says.

He even jokes about the discomfort he endured over the years.

"I feel like a great weight has been lifted off my chest," he says with a laugh.

Facts About Male Breasts

About one-third of all men have some degree of gynecomastia — from a little button under the nipple to a size double D. It is most common for newborn babies, who were exposed to maternal hormones in the womb, and boys going through puberty, whose bodies undergo a surge in the production of the female hormone estrogen. In these cases, the enlarged breasts are usually temporary.
Permanent gynecomastia occurs when normal levels estrogens in the body stimulate the tiny amount of breast tissue that all men have, causing it to grow. It is unknown why breast tissue in some males responds to estrogens and breast tissue is others does not, but Jacobs says it is probably hereditary.

Steroid and marijuana use can sometimes worsen the condition. It is also common for elderly men to grow breast tissue as their bodies start to produce smaller amounts of the male hormone testosterone.

Gynecomastia can cause significant discomfort and embarrassment and some who suffer from the condition avoid intimacy all together.

The only treatment is surgery. According to Jacobs, who says he has performed the procedure nearly 1,000 times, approximately 25 percent of gynecomastia cases are pronounced enough to necessitate surgery.

People who are overweight are likely to have enlarged breasts due to fat. Such cases are not considered gynecomastia unless there is abnormal growth of breast tissue accompanying the fat.

To determine whether an enlarged breast is a result of fat or breast tissue, Jacobs recommends raising your arm above the head and stretching the skin flat. The existence of a olive-like nub is an indications of breast tissue.

Top Bottom