Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is your state the healthiest?

Fonz

"Q"
Platinum
How healthy is your state?

You'll find the healthiest U.S. citizens in New Hampshire, Minnesota and Utah. The least healthy states are in the South, led by Louisiana.
By insure.com

Got health?

According to a 2001 study conducted by UnitedHealth Foundation, Minnesota citizens are the healthiest in the nation, followed by New Hampshire residents and those who live in Utah. Residents of South Carolina, Louisiana and Mississippi are the most unhealthy in the nation, according to UnitedHealth's research.

Residents of Alaska, Arkansas, Connecticut, Indiana and Oklahoma showed the greatest improvement in health from 2000 to 2001, mainly due to a drop in the prevalence of smoking and a drop in the percentage of uninsured residents.

Since 1990, when UnitedHealth first issued its national health report, the health of all Americans has improved by 14%. Plummeting motor-vehicle death rates (down 36% since 1990), low unemployment and a 6.3% overall decrease in smoking are primary reasons for the upswing in the nation's health. During the last year, however, there has been a 3.3% decline in the overall national health, due in part to an increase in the prevalence of smoking, a continuing drop in high-school graduation rates and an increase in premature deaths.

Alaska, Oregon, Washington, California and Idaho have shown the most improvement in health since 1990 -- they've all improved 20% or more.

Survey based on lifestyle, environment
The study is an annual survey of each state's overall health environment based on 17 lifestyle and environmental factors, including the prevalence of smoking, violent-crime rate, unemployment rate, access to health insurance and mortality rate.

UnitedHealth assigns a number to each state based on the 17 factors, with positive numbers representing better health while negative numbers indicate poorer health. The number represents how much a state’s overall ranking exceeds or falls below the national average. (To get state-by-state details, click on the link at left.)

Smoking is least prevalent in Utah and California, while it is most prevalent in Nevada and Kentucky. Massachusetts and Rhode Island have the best record for fatal car accidents; Mississippi and South Carolina have the worst. North Dakota, New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont have the least amount of violent crime; Florida the most. Utah has the least risk of heart disease; Mississippi has the highest risk.

UnitedHealth Foundation is a nonprofit, private foundation that provides information in support of the health and medical decisions made by physicians and health professionals, and individual and community leaders that lead to better health outcomes and healthier communities. It compiled statistics and information from the American Cancer Society, National Center for Health Statistics, National Safety Council, U.S. Department of Commerce bureaus, U.S. Department of Education, U.S. Department of Health and U.S. Department of Labor.

Ok....I'm moving to Minnesota. :) LOL

Fonz

My state is so unhealthy...looking around it would seem that way anyway, everybody smoking, eating Burger King daily, Wendy's, pizza hut on every corner. But if it weren't for these slobs I would not look nearly as good, so to all those fat eating, cigarette smoking, slobs keep it up because you make me look that much better. BTW I live in CA.

washington state is always healthy. we drink our nonfat lattes, and choke down lowfat bran muffins. we also eat all the salmon in the columbia river, thats why they are an endangered species. god it sucks! give me some good BBQ and some fried chicken!

I have to say, everytime I go to the jersey shore I realize how different than most poeple I really am. There you cant hide the way you look with a t-shirt or anything...you seperate the fake big guys who wear 3 t-shirts, eat fast food, only work chest and bi's and walk like bodybuilders from the guys who actually diet, train hard, and research. I am probably just angry because I hear girls talk about how "big" some of these guys are...reminds me of the way people talk about vin diesel.

I hail from Michigan. This state has to be one of the states with the highest percentage of fat bastards. Look at the goddamm govenor, for christsakes, he can't walk he has to waddle. I think that Mayo clinic and all its remote clinics, has alot to do with MN's good health. That fact and of course Jesse the Body.

Top Bottom