Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Xenical and Blood Pressure

George Spellwin

The Architect
Staff member
Administrator
Elite Moderator
Mon Nov 13 07:02:36 2000 Pacific Time

Study Shows Weight Loss Program with Xenical Can Also Help Lower Blood Pressure in Obese Hypertensive Patients
ATTENTION: Medical, Health editors

BIRMINGHAM, Ala., Nov. 13 (AScribe News) -- Results from a multicenter clinical trial headed by researchers at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB) show that weight loss induced by Xenical (orlistat) can significantly reduce elevated blood pressure in overweight people.

The results will be presented Monday, Nov. 13, at the American Heart Association's 73rd annual Scientific Sessions in New Orleans. David Calhoun, M.D., medical director of UAB's Vascular Biology and Hypertension Program and one of the lead investigators, said the results are of particular importance because persistent obesity often reduces the effect of antihypertensive medications.

The study investigated the effect of Xenical on weight loss and blood pressure in patients with treated but inadequately controlled high blood pressure. Xenical induces weight loss by blocking the absorption of dietary fat.

Calhoun said researchers found that those patients treated with Xenical experienced a significantly greater decrease in diastolic blood pressure compared with placebo and significantly greater weight loss. They also found that a greater percentage of patients who received Xenical obtained a significant blood pressure benefit by reducing their blood pressure to a normal level or by at least 10 points.

"In addition to its favorable effect on blood pressure, weight loss with Xenical was found to produce a significantly greater reduction in cholesterol levels," Calhoun said. Patients taking Xenical experienced a tenfold greater reduction in total cholesterol level compared with placebo, and threefold greater reduction in low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol. Buildup of cholesterol is the most common cause of coronary heart disease, Calhoun said. Study participants were clinically obese with a body mass index (BMI) of 27 or higher and had an elevated diastolic blood pressure, despite taking at least one antihypertensive medication at the start of the trial. In addition to treatment with Xenical or placebo, all patients received a calorie-reduced diet with 30 percent of calories derived from fat.

NOTE TO EDITORS: We are the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Please use UAB on second reference. We are not to be confused with the University of Alabama, which is a separate, independent campus.

As one of the side effects of AS can be raised bp- maybe this can be part of certain cycles-tomo

How easy is this stuff to get?? Do you have to have a 'script?? I would be very interested in it, but the fact that it "blocks" absorption still concerns me, though...what else could it be "blocking?"

------------------
GIG 'EM, Badkins21
[email protected]
http://www.angelfire.com/pa2/badkins
"Get BIG, or get the f*ck out," "Smoke it 'til your fingers burn," "The world IS mine!!"

Originally posted by Badkins21:
How easy is this stuff to get?? Do you have to have a 'script?? I would be very interested in it, but the fact that it "blocks" absorption still concerns me, though...what else could it be "blocking?"

It is easy to get from a weight loss Doc. But it does require a Rx.

------------------
Yours in sport,

George

George Spellwin
Research Director

Tell your friends about elitefitness.com!
Click here to Give them a free subscription to Elite Fitness News.

You could win 30lbs. of Mass Quantities Triple Threat 3/60 Protein!

Top Bottom