Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Wrestlers that bodybuild, but also have to "make weight"...

Nighthawkk

My friend is competitive in wrestling and now is trying to desperately lose fat to get into a certain weight class. But he's doing it in a very dangerous manner and starving himself during the day, and also taking ECA. We still lift together but he is erratic with all this stuff...one month he's bulking then the next he barley eats anything all day except for maybe some protein shakes or small meals. Isn't this the totally wrong way to go about it? I don't know what to tell him because I don't wrestle, but you bulk up and then suddenly reduce calories, wont you lose more muscle than fat? I want to help him to not screw up what he worked for by doing something this stupid... Any ideas?

nighthawk playa.. tell the guy..

to get on a keto diet,, eat low carb,, 6 meals a day

slap in some ECA with a nice CLEn/T3 STACk if he wants to..

and hit em up with 20mins cardio ed

and if he does juice tell him to run some winny or maybe some tren to prevent catabolism

and boy he'll be lean in no time..

Post on the diet board. You'll get more informed answers there.

... and yes, what your buddy is doing is not the proper way.

I've trained wrestlers for years. Two of my sons are D1a NCAA all-americans. The first advice I offer is to FORGET cutting weight. Wrestlers who lack self confidence cut weight to wrestle smaller people. This generally backfires, because you lose strength and energy when you diet, and flexibility when you fluid deplete.
The best wrestle in their natural weight class and concentrate on skill and strength.

ironmaster said:
I've trained wrestlers for years. Two of my sons are D1a NCAA all-americans. The first advice I offer is to FORGET cutting weight. Wrestlers who lack self confidence cut weight to wrestle smaller people. This generally backfires, because you lose strength and energy when you diet, and flexibility when you fluid deplete.
The best wrestle in their natural weight class and concentrate on skill and strength.

Hmm, you make a very good point. I'll have to put him in his place!

ironmaster said:
No truer words have ever been spoken. When I competed submission wrestling at first I cut weight all the time to fight the smaller guys. But as I watched what was really going on I realized a less stressed out bigger me was a much better wrestler. Didn't gas, was much stronger, and far more relaxed.

Now I'm not talking about wrestling as a fat ass, just no extreme diets one month before a match.

It's funny how things in wrestling never change. My father wrestled for West Point in the late 50's and I wrestled from 4th grade into High School in Virginia in the 70's and 80's. It was the same for my father as it was to me ... ' if you are able to make a lower class then you were expected to cut the weight.' It wasn't until I started powerlifting that I realized how much strength I was losing when I bombed out dropping from the 181 to the 165 in three days. Your friend should take Ironmasters advice, it will help him in the long run.

I also have found that cutting weight or calories to wrestle / grapple smaller guys sucks. I have NO energy for daily workouts on the Ketogenic diet. My f'n sweat smells like ammonia and i tap out from fatigue against any good opponent. My mental agressiveness plummets and I don't recover at all for the next days training.

That doesn't mean you can't diet.. I think Nelson put it right "eat less move more"

Regards, TW.

i wreslted through high school, college and went to the olympic trials in dallas a few years back, and i can tell you that 99% of the top place winners were "cutting" weight. "cutting" weight can be interpreted in different ways, Kiloamp obviously you are going to lose strength and energy dropping 16 lbs in 3 days, thats just common sense. But if done correctly, you can gain the crucial advantage over your opponent. Theres no point in droppin excessinve amounts of weight quickly, thats the key to losing, but if you eat smart, train like a madman, and put forth 110% you can safely and effectively drop a weight class. The major problem is that people start way too late, this must be done months before your first match. In theory its great if everyone wrestled at their own natural weight, and GENERALLY the cutting weight backfires, but not to those who go on to win. I gotta jet right now but i'll post details when i get back.

Top Bottom