Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Will steroids make me bald???

OneBreath

Elite Mentor
[Edit] Cliffnotes: There is a test you can take to tell if you are genetically prone to male pattern baldness. Not a "look at your family test", but a test checking for the actual AR receptor gene itself.

This is a question i see a lot around here.

The reason that some steroids (mainly DHT based such as anavar, masteron, proviron, primo, winny) are thought to cause hair loss is because the most common form of hairloss is Androgenic Alopecia (AGA) also called Male Pattern. This is named as such because researchers believe the androgen DHT to be the main culprit.

HOWEVER, researchers have determined that a certain variant of the androgen receptor is needed to develop AGA. This variant is a recessive gene on the X chromosome and of course hereditary. 95% of bald men have this variant. That's why you might read in a masteron profile "don't use if you are susceptible to male pattern baldness".

So ... the question came up in AA the other day, "How do i know if i'm susceptible?" Damn good question right? Well i had no idea but there is an at home test (mouth swab) you can take to see if you have the androgen receptor variant.

Here is a site that makes these tests. The link goes to the test explanation (which gives a much more in-depth explanation than I've attempted above)

https://www.hairdx.com/Science.aspx?view=2

Just for reference, i got the idea to search for an at home test after reading this article today on CNN.

One-two gene punch raises odds of baldness in men - CNN.com

Last edited:
Yes and no. Yes your will loose the hair on your head but it will grow in new and exciting areas.

This is a question i see a lot around here.

The reason that some steroids (mainly DHT based such as anavar, masteron, proviron, primo, winny) are thought to cause hair loss is because the most common form of hairloss is Androgenic Alopecia (AGA) also called Male Pattern. This is named as such because researchers believe the androgen DHT to be the main culprit.

HOWEVER, researchers have determined that a certain variant of the androgen receptor is needed to develop AGA. This variant is a recessive gene on the X chromosome and of course hereditary. 95% of bald men have this variant. That's why you might read in a masteron profile "don't use if you are susceptible to male pattern baldness".

So ... the question came up in AA the other day, "How do i know if i'm susceptible?" Damn good question right? Well i had no idea but there is an at home test (mouth swab) you can take to see if you have the androgen receptor variant.

Here is a site that makes these tests. The link goes to the test explanation (which gives a much more in-depth explanation than I've attempted above)

https://www.hairdx.com/Science.aspx?view=2

Just for reference, i got the idea to search for an at home test after reading this article today on CNN.

One-two gene punch raises odds of baldness in men - CNN.com

I use life solutions shampoo and conditioner and there alterna product, with is a dht product. So far I like the results. Fuller and I have some new growth.

Im not really balding, just being pro active

It's all genetic, just like everything else. I had a full head of hair until 40. Then I started to get the "yamika" bald spot on the back, top. I started steroids at 46, and now I'm thinning out on top. I personally believe that steroids accelerate the hair loss process, but DO NOT cause it. Look at Jay, Arnold, Dorian, Marcus... If you go bald it's your parents fault.:cool:

if youre genetically prone then it will accelerate it.

Exactly! What i didn't know, and was trying to share, was that there is a test that tells you if you are genetically prone. That actually tests for the AR variant gene.

So i guess the point of the thread was to spread the word that if you really wanted to know, there is a way to find out. I kind of got carried away with explaining it all.

It's all genetic, just like everything else. I had a full head of hair until 40. Then I started to get the "yamika" bald spot on the back, top. I started steroids at 46, and now I'm thinning out on top. I personally believe that steroids accelerate the hair loss process, but DO NOT cause it. Look at Jay, Arnold, Dorian, Marcus... If you go bald it's your parents fault.:cool:

Im gonna go ahead and agree with this. Sounds right to me, genetics have to play the biggest role in it with steroids mabye accelerating the process

Not to condone usin another drug to counteract the bad effects of another, but...
I've been losing my hair for 10 yrs and finallly started taking propecia a couple yrs ago and stopped it cold.
Finished a sust/var cycle earlier this year and saw zero hair loss still. I guess if you're really concerned about it, you can take propecia or rogaine to block the dht affecting your scalp.

Exactly! What i didn't know, and was trying to share, was that there is a test that tells you if you are genetically prone. That actually tests for the AR variant gene.

So i guess the point of the thread was to spread the word that if you really wanted to know, there is a way to find out. I kind of got carried away with explaining it all.

That is pretty cool.

Top Bottom