Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

What is best for explosive power?

askjoe

Alright guys...what AS would you recommend for explosive power? I'm talking cannon like strength........need it for sports.

pratice whatever you need to be explosive at. If you need to run fast, practice running fast. If you need to be explosive in football, then practice football. the gym is for general strength. training fast will not make you faster. How can moving a barbell slower than your body is capable make a person faster? If that were true then using a broom stick would be the best because it would move the fastest.

If you're looking for explosive strength (I assume you're playing football? Correct me if I'm wrong here...), I HIGHLY recommend power cleans and hang cleans.

BUT, you need to make sure you have proper training (PC's and HC's are some of the most technical lifting I've ever done) otherwise you're just going to hurt yourself without any sort of actual improvement.

-M

Dr. M said:
If you're looking for explosive strength (I assume you're playing football? Correct me if I'm wrong here...), I HIGHLY recommend power cleans and hang cleans.

BUT, you need to make sure you have proper training (PC's and HC's are some of the most technical lifting I've ever done) otherwise you're just going to hurt yourself without any sort of actual improvement.

-M
just curious-what movement or technique on the football field mimics PCs or HCs. in fact I have never really seen a barbell used on the football field. usually the guys start from a standing position or a three point stance. don't you think they should practice that technique and use the gym to develop healthy bodies, which given football players game injuries, do you really want to aggravate a career by throwing weights around quickly. remember heavy weights don't hurt people-quick movements do.

stonecold54 said:
just curious-what movement or technique on the football field mimics PCs or HCs. in fact I have never really seen a barbell used on the football field. usually the guys start from a standing position or a three point stance. don't you think they should practice that technique and use the gym to develop healthy bodies, which given football players game injuries, do you really want to aggravate a career by throwing weights around quickly. remember heavy weights don't hurt people-quick movements do.

all olympic lifts teach you to generate force from the ground up. You start with the legs and finish with the upperbody, football is the same thing, you come off the line and drive up and out.......if you think that olympic lifting and moving heavy weights doenst benefit football players talk to any college or nfl player

You can't be serious. Explosion doesn't come from a pill. It's come from heavy power moves, dynamic moves, and plyos.

Come to the training board, we'll hook you up. You play FB? Where? I'm walking on at DT for Penn State in the spring.

stonecold54 said:

Wrong. Explosive moves performed in the gym make you faster and more powerful. They teach your muscles and CNS to generate massive force in an instant.

I think it was back in the 70's that one country tested all of its Olympic athletes in the 10 meter dash. The athletes with the best times were the weightlifters and not the sprinters, because their training made them extremely explosive.

I'd agree that you can't do ONLY gym work for football. You need sport specific exercises to learn how to apply your strength with speed and force. But to say that gym work can't make you a better athlete is ignorant. Do a little research on WSB, soviet sports science, and the like.

"remember heavy weights don't hurt people-quick movements do"

Quick movements performed with weights (i.e. oly lifts and dynamic powerlifts) will enable you to "hurt people."

stonecold54 said:

You do enough practicing of your movements with your on-field training sessions. You hit enough bros, push enough weight, run enough, etc. during a 2.5 or 3 hour practice.

When you hit the gym, you want to jack up your strength so you can APPLY it to your technique on-field.

PC's have a deadlift portion - back, shoulder, neck strength (some will debate the value of PC's for your traps in the deadlift phase).
PC's then move into an explosion - lower back, glutes, quads, calves, hanstrings.
After that, it's the yank and drift phase - traps, delts, bi's, lats, still lower back to some extent.
Finally, the catch phase and the front squat - quads, hams, low back, glutes, calves, intercostals for stability.

Now, in my experience, PC's and HC's (all of the above minus the early portion of the deadlift) were the best thing I could do for explosive power using my ENTIRE body.

-M

Top Bottom