Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Torn Labrum

Lumberg

Any of you fitnessfags ever have a torn labrum? How did you get it, how long did (have) you had it, what did you do to treat it, and what was/is the result?

I'll go first. I just discovered I have a torn labrum a few weeks ago. I did a few sessions of PT and it seems the focus is to strengthen the muscles that make my shoulder blade go down and towards my spine. Not sure if it's called scapular retraction or what.

I think I got it at least ten years ago playing football. Just was never diagnosed. Have the classic clunking sign that comes and goes. I got really bad tendinitis in my elbow and I think it was because I was guarding and trying to protect my shoulder, therefore putting my elbow in a vulnerable position.

Sometimes I clunk during the actual prescribed exercises, and I just don't do them that day. The next day it may be fine.

Shoulder starting to feel slightly better but building significant strength is not a matter of a few weeks.

The main thing my PT said is never do exercises where the elbow goes behind the centerline of the body. Actually I guess BP is alright. Also never do shoulder press with torso straight up, have to be tilted back one hole on the incline bench. Also, no BB exercises, I should use all DB so that my shoulders can move more naturally.

Right now surgery is not an option, partially because you always try to rehab it first and partially because I have no health insurance.

Any of you fitnessfags ever have a torn labrum? How did you get it, how long did (have) you had it, what did you do to treat it, and what was/is the result?

I'll go first. I just discovered I have a torn labrum a few weeks ago. I did a few sessions of PT and it seems the focus is to strengthen the muscles that make my shoulder blade go down and towards my spine. Not sure if it's called scapular retraction or what.

I think I got it at least ten years ago playing football. Just was never diagnosed. Have the classic clunking sign that comes and goes. I got really bad tendinitis in my elbow and I think it was because I was guarding and trying to protect my shoulder, therefore putting my elbow in a vulnerable position.

Sometimes I clunk during the actual prescribed exercises, and I just don't do them that day. The next day it may be fine.

Shoulder starting to feel slightly better but building significant strength is not a matter of a few weeks.

The main thing my PT said is never do exercises where the elbow goes behind the centerline of the body. Actually I guess BP is alright. Also never do shoulder press with torso straight up, have to be tilted back one hole on the incline bench. Also, no BB exercises, I should use all DB so that my shoulders can move more naturally.

Right now surgery is not an option, partially because you always try to rehab it first and partially because I have no health insurance.

Lummy, I see some labrum injury threads in health and medicine but nothing in the way of worthwhile replies. Best bet is to c&p this into the Weightlifting forum.

Thanks. I think I'll stick with rehab and see how it goes. No health insurance means no surgery.

best of luck. if its torn, it wont grow back together but you can do yourself serious favors by maintaining range of motion until you can get surgery. Then when you do, work your shoulder like a mofo with PT so it doesnt freeze up on you. Biggest part of shoulder injuries is maintaining ROM and breaking up scar tissue.

I've been through that due to my overall girth kinda of a drag for the chick

my bad I thought this thread was about torn labia

Top Bottom