Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is there serious health concerns with sleep deprivation?

JUICESEEKER

I know this question is not related to juice. But i was wondering if a person only get five hours sleep a night, will that do any damage to there health?

Sleep deprived people will go from feeling tired to feeling a heavy sense of exhaustion. Reactions are slowed, and concentration is broken much easier. It will take you 3-4x the same amount of time to do simple things - therfor your workouts would be less intense and could be dangerous.

When the body is not properly rested, it can’t function in top shape. This adds to fatigue. The body’s defenses are lowered because it has to focus on staying awake and keeping up with the person who refuses to give in and sleep. This leads the individual to be more susceptible to illness, and to get sicker and for a longer period of time when an illness is contracted.

The body cannot fight the bacteria or virus until it can stop focusing so much energy on everyday life processes. Your muscle recovery would suck and since working out is a high stress on the body anyways, you would get sick a lot.

Once sleep deprivation has set in, the lost sleep can never be made up. Research has also shown that by being chronically sleep deprived, one is shortening their life. Suggestions are to take naps in the afternoon (short ones, around fifteen or twenty minutes. Even just taking time to relax is good). Try to get at least six hours of sleep per night - athletes need more obviosuly.

everything to do with health

This question certainly has a direct effect on the results you will see on a cycle. You must get good sleep 6-10 hours per night for your body to perform at its peck levels. Long term sleep dep. will cause a plethora of negative effects i.e. -- poor blood circulation, decreased workout recovery, decreased mental funtionality, ect...

I'm with Hitman, this is an obviously silly question. Sleep = recovery. You dont grow in the gym, you grow in bed. Duh?

Any of you in college can probably feel me here.. my avg bed time is 3-4 am... weekdays and weekends =/

there was a study that say that a person that sleep 6-7hours/night will live longer than someone that sleep more than 8h/night

I have to take trazodone every night or I will not sleep at all and it is hard to train like I used to because of tiredness and fatigue, felling very sleepy during the day.

I saw a very interesting documentary on the Discovery channel not too long about this. From what I remember, it was highly recommended that adults get at least 8 hours of sleep per night. And although they said that taking "power" naps was good, they should be limited to 20 to 30 minutes. Also, they said not to consider, ..."hey, I don't sleep too much at night, so I'll just start taking naps everyday." The scientists involved in relaying the hard data on this show made it abundantly clear that these naps do not make up for loss of sleep. They also recommended to those of us that do not get enough sleep per night, to learn different relaxation methods. Apparently, your brain responds well to deliberate quite/down time, as does your body. Many people believe that sleep is in fact a method of relaxation. They stressed that it is not. For those interested in learning more about this, I'm sure you could do a search on the Discovery.com web site and maybe even score the VHS/DVD version of that aired show.

Good thread!

Top Bottom