Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Is there any leg exercises that aren't hard on the knees??

Never Enough

What's up guys? I know this should probably be on the training board but figured I'd get more responses over here. And besides I'm in the middle of a cycle so it's kind of anabolically related:D I've had me knee operated on four times now and just recently I've really been having a hard time doing legs because of the pain. I don't want to not train legs since I'm on and want to get the full effect of my cycle. Right now my routine is:
squats 4x6-8
deads 3x6-8
leg press 3x6-8
leg ext 3x6-8
leg curls 3x6-8
So my question is what exercises can I do that aren't hard on the knees? Thanks!

Out of what you have listed above, leg extensions are prolly the worst. Having a seat under your quads and weight on your ankes puts a lot of shearing force on the knees.

Zyglamail said:
Out of what you have listed above, leg extensions are prolly the worst. Having a seat under your quads and weight on your ankes puts a lot of shearing force on the knees.

I beg to differ. I am recovering from meniscal repair and weighted leg extensions are exactly what the ortho told me to do... I think it depends on the type of knee weakness you have. I, for one, can't do squats right now and should probably never do deep (beyond 90 degrees) squats again.

Hamstring curls are prolly the most benign imho.

I think leg extensions are one of the worst choices for bad knees. My knees always ache after extensions.

Leg extensions are the worst. After that I would say hamstring curls. Squats actually are not bad for the knees at all as long as you use proper form(knees when squatting down should not go beyond the toes) and are not going below parallel.

DaMan said:

I beg to differ. I am recovering from meniscal repair and weighted leg extensions are exactly what the ortho told me to do... I think it depends on the type of knee weakness you have. I, for one, can't do squats right now and should probably never do deep (beyond 90 degrees) squats again.

And a Doc has never given any one bad advice? You are of course entitled to your opinion, but please, just because one doc tells you something doesnt make it right(not that im right either, but do yourself a favor and research it a bit to discover the truth).Your knee is a ball and socket, When the leg is extended with weight on the ankle(shin), all of the preasure is not directly focused into the joint, but off of the back side of creating a shearing force. With squats(properly done mind you) for the majority of the movement the ball and socket are being pressed together by the weight and is actually one of the safest and best exercises for the knee.

Never Enough said:
Well I've torn both my ACL and MCL and had cartilage and scar tissue removed. So to say the least my knee is fucked!!
And the ligiments are what holds your knee in place, applying sideways preasure (front, side or rear) takes the strain off the joint (ball/socket, as when standing the force of your weight lands squarly on the joint and cartiledge) and puts all the strain on the tendons/ligiments since the knee is no longer being pressed into the joint but sideways.

I have had prolotherapy done to take care of ligiment damage in the past and it worked very well. If interested check into it at www.prolotherapy.com.

Last edited:
DaMan said:

Funny my ortho and therapist told me the exact opposite when I had meniscus repair. Leg extensions are the worst thing to do after knee surgery due to the overwhelming pressure the is put on the knee cap. Goes to show you that you can't trust them

Top Bottom