Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Testing Body fat

slat1 said:
I'm not sure. I would have guessed around 7 to 8%. After seeing my recent test results I would say 9% or so.

This just in:

Center for Physical Therapy and Exercise
HYDROSTATIC WEIGHING RESULTS

DATE OF TEST: March 13, 2006
SUBJECT NAME: Slat1
EVALUATOR: Fred *******

SKIN FOLD RESULTS: 11.7% Body Fat (Jackson-Pollack 6 site formula which has the greatest accuracy and reliability for adults 25-50 years of age)

UNDERWATER WEIGHING RESULTS: Water Temp.: 37oC Water Density: 0.99336
Chair Weight: 4.75 kg Dry Body Weight: 102.73 kg

Residual Volume: 2.228 liters
Average Underwater Weight: 9.3 kg
Underwater Body Fat: 15.00%

COMMENTS: There is a discrepancy between the underwater and skinfold results. The human factor clearly plays a role in the skinfold measurement (Is the size of the pinch consistent? Are the calipers placed in the correct spot? Are the calipers slipping during measurement?). I believe the underwater results are good and the result is accurate. From a visual perspective, the underwater results make more sense.

I work for a large fire department. A couple years ago they decided we all had to have a passing PFE (physical fitness evaluation). This included bf% (it was based on a sliding scale based on age). They set the guidlines for bf% from all the years of calipers info they had, but the place they sent us used the bod pod (pretty much the same methode as dunking, but uses displaced air instead of displaced water). Well, this method is almost always 4-5% higher than skin fold. Now, everyone knows that there are some big ol firemen, but 50% of out department failed the bf%. They had to send us all through again, this time using calipers. lol So my point is, that getting dunked can be frustrating because it will usually measure as a higher % than skin fold (plus, some people have more internal fat around their organs than others and skin fold wont pick this up, but dunking/bod pod will)

btw, I failed because of my BMI (body mass index). According to them, at 5'6" I should have been 145# at the most. So they labeled me as borderline obese at 172#..........at 11% bodyfat in the pod, and 8% bf calipers!!! LOL needless to say they revised thier BMI standards and they no longer even look at the results.

Top Bottom