Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

swollen right knee, water on knee , fluid build up ?

Hey there. I have quite a bit of swelling on my right knee, actually to the right side of my cap on my right knee. It feels soft ( like marshmallows inside) and obviously has some fluid build up in it. I have no idea how it was injured. It causes me no real pain, I can bend down and still squat (although I have only once due to concern of really hurting myself. ) some weight. It does cause me a little pain/discomfort when I bend all the way to the floor, like bucket squats due to the fluid and swelling pushing , stretching of my skin. It is a little sensitive at the top corner of my knee cap if pressure is applied to that area, towards outside of right knee. I can run/walk up steps and have no issues, no pain at all. I have never had any problems with either knee and all of a sudden this swelling.It is noticeable when pointed out to others but unless pointed out, noone would notice the difference in the two knees. I am 31 yo and 5 10 and wiegh 190 or so. I have always been very athletic and no issues. I would head to the dr, but I am self pay and have been reading that the mri and x rays dont really reveal anything and that they will want to scope it etc... and that means big dollars so I thought I would ask here. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I understand that I should see a dr and not do a self diagnosis but I would like some opinions or thoughts ? I would really appreciate if you can spend a few minutes for me and give your opinions. :)

This is just an online diagnosis but you may have prepatellar bursitis. There is a small sack of fluid, the bursa, which is positioned between other tissues and bone structures to allow for smoother motion. When the bursa is irritated, it can become inflamed and swell up with additional fluid to produce the symptoms which you may be experiencing. Normal treatment is to just limit your range of motion and allow the inflammation to reside. If the inflammation fails to reside then it may be necessary to drain the area. If the bursa becomes infected then a course of antibiotics will be required. As Mike mentioned, you should have a physician diagnose your symptoms to make sure it isn't something more serious.

KP--Fitness Basics

Last edited:
while awaiting diagnosis, I used to use a Poly knee pad. Not a brace, just one of those pads. It compresses the area slightly and keeps it warm. This helps to reduce swelling and thus reduces the pain.

Kind of funny, once I had my bad meniscus in the left knee repaired, both knees stopped swelling and I stopped using the pads.

Update: I still have the fluid build up but havent noticed any real pain at all. I have stopped all squating and lower legs stuff. I have been stretching my acl pretty well and it seems to have lowered the fluid amount .If I do a catchers squat ( no weight, just body weight) it doesnt seem near as tight and fluidy. Still no real pain and it just urks the shit out of me, hoping it is bursitis like Kian mentioned. I am still hoping for a self recovery since I do not have insurance to see dr. Any other thoughts or online diagnosis ? How long if it is bursitis , should it take to get to feeling back to normal ? Again, very very little discomfort but it lurks in the back of my mind that it is an issue. I dont feel comfortable running or doing any leg exercises. Thoughts ? K to all who give real advice

If it is prepatellar bursitis then the swelling will usually go away on its own over a several week period provided you have refrained from aggrevating the original condition. So squats of any kind and even direct pressure to the area should be avoided. Initial treatment is to keep the knee joint immobile, apply frequent ice packs to the area, use light compression bandages and take anti-inflammatory medication. If the swelling doesn't reside then you may need to get it drained. It is very important that if it is prepatellar bursitis that you make sure that you do not puncture the skin on your own as this may lead to a high possibility of infection and then you will have a whole host of other problems to contend with. Infection is the biggest concern if it is bursitis. If the area around your knee becomes swollen, very tender or warm, or if you run a fever, then you should seek medical attention quickly.

Considering that your original post was on 20 December, I would seriously consider having a professional diagnosis performed to confirm and treat the condition within the next 2 weeks if your symptoms don't change. I am not familiar with the health care system in the USA but is there a walk-in clinic or A+E you can go to for treatment or atleast a diagnosis?

KP--Fitness Basics

Top Bottom