Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Supplemental Zinc - does it bump T?

twistedneck

Does supplemental zinc acutually do anything for increased bio available T? Studies show its a natural 5AR inhibitor. I swear since I started to avoid it I feel better.

Since extra zinc competes for iron, should we use iron supplement if we add zinc? Being an endurance athlete low iron is a huge worry. :artist:

If you are deficient, zinc supplementation can and will increase testosterone. Most athletes are somewhat zinc depleted if not taking supplemental zinc. However, don't try to take high dose zinc to exploit it's positive effects.

Zinc competes with copper, calcium, and magnesium as well as iron. All of these are very important for you as an endurance athlete. Do you need to supplement with these minerals? Not if you have sufficient amounts in your system. However, without supplementation, most athletes (especially endurance athletes) have sub-optimal levels of several or all of these minerals.

Unless you have the time and money to be screened for your mineral and vitamin status, a quality multi-vitamin/mineral supplement is a good idea. Some are much better than others. Do some research as to what forms of, and in what ratio, each vitamin or mineral are contained in the supplement.

Great quality multi-vitamin/mineral packs can be found here. Click on "Daily Supplement Paks." Check out the "Sports Pak" and the Athlete's Pak." No, I have no affiliation with the site or the Colgan Institute, but they have the very best one shot multi-vitamin/mineral supplements you will find.

Silent, thanks for the quick response. Q, I have read when we take a multi mineral with calcium as the main component our body tends to abosorb the calcium preferentially over all the other minerals.

I notice when i take 30mg zinc alone, i get very sick - quickly. if i take the same amount of zinc w/ a multi i don't get sick at all.. should i space out the zinc? What do you think about its 5AR blocking abilities? Its common in all of those hair saving formula's and that has me scared. I love DHT! thanks again. TW.

Yes, calcium can interfere with the absorption of other minerals. There are several factors to consider. The "Paks" offered by the website I linked are split into AM and PM packs with the intent of assuring optimal absorption of the vitamins and minerals. In addition, the form of the minerals plays a big role. Using a readily absorbing form zinc, such as zinc aac, will aid in its uptake. Other factors such as comparative dosages and digestive kinetics affected by food and nutritional status play a role as well.

Zinc is known for causing stomach upset. When used in a clinical setting it is suggested that it be taken with food or milk. Again, it's not a good idea to attempt to use zinc in high doses beyond those needed to make up for a deficit. High doses have been inappropriately recommended for 5ar manipulation, as an anti-aromatase, and to "increase" testosterone. However, supplemental zinc beyond a deficit restorative dose quickly becomes toxic before it exhibits any advantage in these regards.

Silent, I didn't realize that link was to the colgan institute. I've read his book "optimum sports nutrition" about ten times. That book changed the way i train. What a legend.. thanks for the link! how did you hear about colgan?

Silent Method said:
:) Colgan simply IS the man.

I'm suprised to hear you say that since he's owned the Twin Labs people. I like Colgans work but he will praise any TL supp and dissmiss any they don't carry.

Nelson Montana said:
I'm suprised to hear you say that since he's owned the Twin Labs people. I like Colgans work but he will praise any TL supp and dissmiss any they don't carry.
Foot. Mouth. Nelson. :rolleyes:

Not even close. Perhaps you should read his works - DON'T, DON'T say you have because A. you haven't or B. you did but didn't follow it. Colgan has designed several products for Twinlab. And yes, he has backed TW as a company that sells the actual product the put on the label (something proteinfactory has been burned for NOT doing in the past).

He will praise any Twinlab supplement? If you were familiar with Colgan and his works as well as the Twinlab line of products you would immediately realize that Colgan calls bullshit on alot of the products Twinlab sells. No, he does not do so by name (i.e. Twinlab's "_______" is crap) but he will not praise any any supplemental chemical or compound unless he has evidence for it's value.

He will dissmiss supps they don't carry? Bullshit again. Jeeze, look into these things before you type. Seriously.

Top Bottom