Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Strategic workout skipping

gorillahung

As I approach 44 yrs old I'm finding that the best way I can stay in the game is by skipping workouts. I hate doing it but some days my body is just telling me "don't do it". I guess it's better to lift longer than harder in some cases. Does anyone else in the over 40 group do this?

I'm not 40 yet but approaching. I actually had a roof fall almost a year ago and it caused an injury on my right side.. from my leg up to my shoulder, elbow and hands. sprained my elbow badly, mild separation.

it has led me to lose workouts because the inflammation. now a stupid person would take an A-inflammatory and go in there and pound away. but those are the guys who end up with chronic injuries. you really have to listen to your body and back off. I haven't been able to lift heavy but i am gradually coming back.

so to answer your question shit happens in life that will effect your workouts. the best thing you can do is listen to your body and train SMART.

Listen to your body. Most of us LOVE to train. It's the highlight of our day and the thing we look forward to the most. If you don't want to train for whatever reason, that is a red flag that something is really wrong.

People look at you like you are telling them to marry their cousin when you tell them to take a day off from the gym but it's often EXACTLY what you need.

Remember that you are actually breaking down your muscle in the gym when you are training. It's when you rest and recover that your muscles actually repair and grow.

What you are doing by "skipping" workouts is very smart. I always recommend listening to your body. This is the best way to recover and to avoid injury. As we get older it will take longer to recover. You can also implement "deload" weeks where you lift light weights to give your body and joints a break.

As I approach 44 yrs old I'm finding that the best way I can stay in the game is by skipping workouts. I hate doing it but some days my body is just telling me "don't do it". I guess it's better to lift longer than harder in some cases. Does anyone else in the over 40 group do this?

While I am not 40 years old yet, and I can not share my experience in this regard, I do want to tell you that you are doing the right thing. In bodybuilding you got to feel your body, and understand it. If you feel that it needs more rest, then give it more rest - it is never a good idea to overstress your body

You always need to listen to your body, which means to take a day off when needed

Top Bottom