Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Sprints

New Jack

If I am someone who wants to start running but has never ran before in my life, would it be wise to do mile work for atleast a month to get my legs in shape before I start sprints or should I just jump right in and do both?

i would do some middle/long distance work to get ur knees, thighs, ankles used to the impact that running has on ur legs.

then start the sprints. sprints get u really ripped up. e.g. 100m runners. they are built like tanks.

Make sure you to warm up to get the blood flowing. 4-8 min light jog. Next, make sure you stretch you calves, quads, hamstrings, hips, dorsi flexor, shoulders,and pecs. If you don't know how to stretch properly, find out, we don't want you to pull a hamstring or anything else by jumping into sprints. The older you are, the less flexible you will be and more stretching will be necessary. After your done stretching do some sprint drills. Knee ups, leg kicks, A skips, B skips, lunges, backwards running,etc. Tell you what, you should go to a local track team and talk to the coach, collegiate or high school. You will learn what you need to know in warmup,stretching, sprint drills and workouts by visually seeing what they do. Like I said don't just jump into it, it may strain or even tear a muscle if you do not do the things I've mentioned.

I run sprints and distance...

Being a fighter i need to run sprints for explosiveness + distance for endurance to last in matches. Now if you jump into sprints to quickly you may suffer from "Shin Splints". Back in H.S. i used to get them because i used to jump right into them but believe me you don't want them. I would do some stretching and some light warm-up laps then begin to gradually increase your speeds. If you are running a marked track then start by doing progressions. Jog to the 25 yd mark, get a lil faster to the 50 yd mark, then run to the 75 yd mark and finally sprint that last 25 yds. Walk the straightaways and do it again a few times. Then as you begin to get your legs used to what i call light sprints you are ready to soar like an eagle. ;) ~JT~

Re: I run sprints and distance...

TheDarkSideNinja said:
Now if you jump into sprints to quickly you may suffer from "Shin Splints".

You get shin splints from running sprints on concrete. Run in grass and you don't get them.

Grass??

I'm not sure about grass but i know when i was competing in track and field for numerous yrs we ran on gravel, rubber, all diff kinds of tracks neevr concreate. Many people experience shin splints because their feet are not used to being dorsi-flexed i.e. time on the toes for fast and longer periods of time. So you definitely should start out slow. Talk too any professionals who do it for a living is your best bet. A lot of coaches today are not certified to talk about this and you will see them someday need numerous certifications in order to even become a coach!!! ~JT~ :mix:

OOPS FORGOT TO ADD....

If you run on grass your times will be slower then on a track which may or may not matter but i prefer track as i find i sprain my ankles less on a more stable grounding!!!! ~JT~

Top Bottom