Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Researchers find that simple carbs and trans-fatty acids cause diabetes...DUUHH!!

BigEasy

I found this MSN article and though you might get a kick out of it. I know I did.

Excerpts are below, with a link to the full article.

BE

More Bad News About Donuts, French Fries, and Cereals; Crackers Too

'Bad' Fats Found in Processed Foods Linked to Diabetes Risk

June 8, 2001 -- Want to reduce your risk of diabetes? A new study suggests it is possible if you throw out the stick of margarine and processed baked goods. And forget about fried fast foods.

Fats known as trans fatty acids, commonly seen in these foods, already have been linked to heart disease and high cholesterol. Now a study from the Harvard School of Public Health suggests that limiting their consumption also can greatly lower diabetes risk. The research is reported in the June issue of American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

But not all fats are created equal, and the Harvard researchers found that consumption of polyunsaturated fat, found in many liquid vegetable oils, actually appeared to be protective against diabetes. The researchers suggest that replacing trans fats in the diet with polyunsaturated fats can reduce the risk of diabetes by as much as 40%.

-continued
For full article, click here....at least for the next 24 hours....

Darn!! Someone beat me to publication on this lifelong research project of mine. GRRRRRR.

But seriously, since this was an MSN article I'll forgive them for stating the obvious, because it's not obvious to your average American. Sure it's obvious to those of us into bettering our bodies but most people have zero clues when it comes to how to feed or look after themselves.

And in defense of the poor researchers I will say that correlation is easier to prove than causation when it comes to nutrition.

MS, of course you are right about the causal links. Could you imagine a clinical with 80,000 participants? Just trying to calculate compliance deviations gives me a headache.....yaaaaaaa. Then trying to track diet considering differing ingredients for the same dishes...no wonder it took them so long to see the obvious. Not to mention the 'hidden' trans-fats' mentioned in the article. I wouldn't mind having that grant though. I would love to track diet and supplementation with medical history and mobidity in athletes!!! Of course, I would never get funding.....

This was the same reason it took so long to get even a weak causal link to smoking and respiratory disease/cancer.

BE

Top Bottom