Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

progesterone vs progestin which is good and bad/ FINA

Progesterone is a specific chemical compound. Progestins are compounds that have structures similar to progesterone and bind to the progesterone receptor. Fina does not raise progesterone levels. It is progestin in the sense that it binds (in cattle anyway) to the progesterone receptor. It is also an androgen since it binds to the androgen receptor. Most steroids show cross-reactivity to the different receptors to some degree.

Progesterone and progestins are thought to be capable of elevating prolactin levels. Vitex has shown some ability to lower prolactin levels

so u are saying u dont get gyno from progesterone right?

so then the increase in progesterone caused by vitex is good or bad?

and fina has progestin that binds to pr receptors right? which increases prolactin?

and causes gyno?

i want to clear this up
thanks

In medical-speak, "the etiology of gynecomastia is unknown". Nobody knows exactly how it is caused. Two factors have been implicated most often: excess estrogen, and/or excess prolactin. It is not believed that progesterone directly causes gyno. What has been suggested is that progesterone somehow causes an excess of prolactin, which can lead to gyno.

Vitex itself does not elevate progesterone. In fact it has estrogenic properties. Estrogen has the ability to upregulate the progesterone receptor (1). So vitex increases progesterone receptor number, not progesterone itself (2).

Vitex has also been shown to reduce prolactin levels. (3)
It is this reduction in prolactin that may block fina induced gyno.

(1) J Reprod Med 1999 Feb;44(2 Suppl):153-7
Progesterone and the progesterone receptor.

(2)J Agric Food Chem 2001 May;49(5):2472-9
Evaluation of estrogenic activity of plant extracts for the potential treatment of menopausal symptoms.

(3)Horm Metab Res 1993 May;25(5):253-5
Agnus castus extracts inhibit prolactin secretion of rat pituitary cells.

Thats a good question. I am not sure. Deprenyl is a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor. MAO acts to breakdown dopamine, so deprenyl keeps levels of dopamine elevated. This in turn depresses prolactin levels (1). I have not seen any studies however that show deprenyl is effective in treating gyno, but it sounds good in theory. Let me know if you come across any studies in this regard.

(1) : Life Sci 1994;54(13):841-5 Deprenyl reduces serum prolactin concentrations in rats.

Top Bottom