Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Phosphatidylserine - an OTC cortisol blocker

hhajdo

PS can benefit brain dysfunctions other than the strictly cognitive. In an exploratory open trial by Fünfgeld and Nedwidek25 on subjects with dopamine transmitter deficiency, 8 of the 12 subjects given PS showed improvement. Another patient improved when the PS intake was increased. This trial lasted for only 3 weeks; a longer dosing period and customized dosing might have been more informative. In an earlier study, subjects with severe cognitive deficits along with motor impairments responded to intravenous PS (about 35 mg in 200 mg bovine brain cortex phospholipids) with improvements in motor performance and elevated levels of homovanillic acid (a dopamine marker) in their cerebrospinal fluid.26

PS can have beneficial effects on mood. In a double-blind trial conducted on elderly women, PS brought about consistent improvement of memory and behavior9. In an open trial, Manfredi's group27 also obtained statistically significant improvement of various psycho-organic parameters in elderly women given 50 mg PS per day intramuscularly. Findings from the 1995 trial by Gindin et al8 suggest PS can also improve mood parameters in elderly men.

Phosphatidylserine might modulate the cortisol release that occurs in response to stressful conditions; this effect might not be restricted to the aged. Monteleone's group11 reported on an open, placebo-controlled trial of young, healthy men subjected to exercise-induced stress. The oral intake of PS for 10 days prior to a session of bicycling to near-exhaustion lowered the stress hormone production normally associated with strenuous exercise. This confirmed findings from an earlier study by the same group10 in which PS was given intravenously.

Supplementation with PS might also help conserve hypothalamic function and benefit the aging hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis (HPAA). One example is the Early Cortisol Escape Phenomenon. In young, healthy people the oral administration of 1 mg of dexamethasone (DEX, a synthetic glucocorticoid) normally suppresses the production of cortisol and other adrenal steroids for more than 24 hours. In contrast, many older people do not show this suppression by DEX- a phenomenon called Early Cortisol Escape, and such lack of DEX suppression likely reflects dis-integration of the HPAA in the elderly. Oral supplementation of PS restored DEX suppression in a group of 14 institutionalized elderly (ages 66-78; p<0.02).28

Further evidence that PS can benefit the aging HPAA comes from Masturzo and collaborators,29 who did an open, placebo-controlled trial on institutionalized elderly men (ages 65-85, average age 73.7) with disturbed 24-hour circadian rhythm of thyrotropin (TSH) hormone secretion. While those on placebo deteriorated further, PS restored the daily rhythm of TSH secretion to a level comparable with the young male adult controls (mean age 22.3 years; p< 0.001). In another human study,30 intravenous administration of PS in liposome form led to "spikes" of growth hormone release. This effect was interpreted as a likely result of activation of dopamine metabolism in the pituitary gland by PS.
.......................................................................................................
The activity of brain cortex-derived phosphatidylserine (BC-PS) on the neuroendocrine and neurovegetative responses to physical stress was tested in 8 healthy men who underwent three experiments with a bicycle ergometer. According to a double-blind design, before starting the exercise, each subject received intravenously, within 10 min, 50 or 75 mg of BC-PS or a volume-matched placebo diluted in 100 ml of saline. Blood samples were collected before and after the exercise for plasma epinephrine (E), norepinephrine (NE), dopamine (DA), adrenocorticotropin (ACTH), cortisol, growth hormone (GH), prolactin (PRL) and glucose determinations. Blood pressure and heart rate were also recorded. Physical stress induced a clear-cut increase in plasma E, NE, ACTH, cortisol, GH and PRL, whereas no significant change was observed in plasma DA and glucose. Pretreatment with both 50 and 75 mg BC-PS significantly blunted the ACTH and cortisol responses to physical stress.Monteleone P, Beinat L,Tanzillo C, et al. Effects of phosphatidylserine on the neuroendocrine response to physical stress in humans. Neuroendocrinology 52:243-248; 1990.
........................................................................................................
The effect of chronic administration of phosphatidylserine derived from brain cortex on the neuroendocrine responses to physical stress has been examined in a placebo-controlled study in 9 healthy men. Phosphatidylserine 800 mg/d for 10 days significantly blunted the ACTH and cortisol responses to physical exercise (P = 0.003 and P = 0.03, respectively), without affecting the rise in plasma GH and PRL. Physical exercise significantly increased the plasma lactate concentration both after placebo and phosphatidylserine. The results suggest that chronic oral administration of phosphatidylserine may counteract stress-induced activation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in man.Monteleone P, Maj M, Beinat L, et al. Blunting by chronic phosphatidylserine administration of the stress-induced activation of the hypothalamo-pituitary-adrenal axis in healthy men. Eur J Clin Pharmacol (GERMANY) 42:385-388; 1992.
.......................................................................................................
PhosphatidylSerine (PS), the powerful brain nutrient, is becoming more and more popular for its ability to improve memory, concentration and learning, particularly in seniors.

Now, a new study on intense weight training conducted at California State University found participants experienced reduced muscle soreness, an increased sense of well-being, and decreased cortisol levels when they took PS on a daily basis.

The double-blind, cross-over study measured the effects of PS on resting and post-exercise serum concentrations of cortisol and other hormones during two weeks of severe weight training. Subjective measures of well-being and muscle soreness were also scored.

"Without exception, every subject was able to correctly identify when he was taking PS," said Thomas D. Fahey, Ed.D., principal investigator. "Subjective measures, such as perception of well-being and muscle soreness, are considered some of the most reliable markers of overtraining. In this study the subjects reported markedly better ratings when taking PS than the placebo," added Fahey.

Elevated cortisol levels can impede strength and lean muscle development during exercise. Serum cortisol was significantly less during recovery from exercise for participants taking PS, according to Fahey.
This study indicates that through supplementation of PS, athletes may be able to negate the possible tissue wasting processes set up by excessive cortisol levels, which create a negative nitrogen balance in the body.....

I've seen two products that contain it:
Cortistat-PS by champion nutrition and
Cort-Bloc by Muscle-link...

If you are one of those people who are all sorts of screwed up in the head for various reasons, this stuff actually helps a great deal.

I am 24, I know people always say they have a terrible memory, but mine is absolutely AWFUL - I think it got much worse after lots of mind-altering drugs in highschool.

Anyway, I also am very obssessive compulsive at times, and filled with anxiety often as well. Little things bother me much deeper than they should - and I have to consiously make myself forget about the most ridiculous miniscule things.

I don't know why I am this way, it must be chemical, because I hate it about myself, and I would not act this way if I had a choice...

BUT I literally see a 500% difference in my mood when I take some of these natural supplements for the mind. I took that EAS product "NeuroGain" and I know most of you probably think its a giant rip off --- but if you have any of the problems I do it just might work for you.

It was a godsend for me. During workouts I was able to concentrate on getting a good pump rather than are my feet perfectly even while I squat or bench press. It helps me do temendously better on tests of any kind, I am generally more clear minded, less aggravated, and in a better overall mood.

I think these products are great for those who are a fruitcake like me. Or if you think you have less than normal memory/mind.

fitwizard said:
SEEMS THAT PS is good to use everyday and even better post-cycle when cortisol levels are up

Exactly.
This is definately an underrated supplement which could be really helpful for lowering cortisol post cycle - especially if combined with glutamine peptides...

you should take at about the hour mark in your workout...this is when cortisol shoots through the roof and test and gh begin to drop....taking ps could allow you to train longer although it is not advisable. if you cant kill yourself in an hour you aren't training right. i take ps post-workout to prevent muscle breakdown. it does work and you can notice in your recovery especially if you are not on any juice at the time.

Top Bottom