Please Scroll Down to See Forums Below
napsgear
genezapharmateuticals
domestic-supply
puritysourcelabs
Research Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic
napsgeargenezapharmateuticals domestic-supplypuritysourcelabsResearch Chemical SciencesUGFREAKeudomestic

Panic attack or heart attack?

plifter

Banned
I've been having some massive panic attacks lately. I just had a few where my chest tightened and I felt pain in my left arm. I've since settled down and feel better now. How can one distinguish between panic attacks and heart attacks? I'm 33 years old by the way so I'm not quite in the high rick age group yet. :worried:

plifter said:
I've been having some massive panic attacks lately. I just had a few where my chest tightened and I felt pain in my left arm. I've since settled down and feel better now. How can one distinguish between panic attacks and heart attacks? I'm 33 years old by the way so I'm not quite in the high rick age group yet. :worried:

Only way to be absolutely certain is to get an EKG. Even if you've had a tiny heart attack in the recent past it'll be evident on an EKG. That will remove all doubt.

plifter said:

Same thing happend to me a while back and I had to rush to ER, my entire hand went numb and I couldn't talk because my face was numb. They did an EKG and everything was fine. Told me it was just a severe panic attack, gave me some valium and sent me on my way.

You can't go by age....you could have something wrong with your heart to begin with and not know it....I would have your Dr. check you out just to make sure

Frisky said:
Same thing happend to me a while back and I had to rush to ER, my entire hand went numb and I couldn't talk because my face was numb. They did an EKG and everything was fine. Told me it was just a severe panic attack, gave me some valium and sent me on my way.

Thanks for sharing that info. It makes me feel a little better knowing that other people have gone through the same thing. I'm scared that I will have a real heart attack and not make it to the hospital in time because I thought it was just a panic attack. These incidents don't tend to last long, 30 seconds- 1 minute. The problem is that they are increasing in frequency.

even if you go see your regular Dr. He will give you something for the attacks.....but you will know....

plifter said:
Thanks for sharing that info. It makes me feel a little better knowing that other people have gone through the same thing. I'm scared that I will have a real heart attack and not make it to the hospital in time because I thought it was just a panic attack. These incidents don't tend to last long, 30 seconds- 1 minute. The problem is that they are increasing in frequency.

Imagine it lasting for well over 1-1/2 hours, my entire body was stiff. And was in panic because I was having a panic attack... made it worse. I didn't know what was going on. It came on while I was driving too. I had to pull over and wait for my beau to come and get me and drive me to the hospital.

plifter said:
I'm scared that I will have a real heart attack....

plifter said:
The problem is that they are increasing in frequency.

I think its a good chance that the first issue is causing the second issue. Fear is kinda building up and keeping you closer to the threshold of a panic attack more often.

RottenWillow said:
I think its a good chance that the first issue is causing the second issue. Fear is kinda building up and keeping you closer to the threshold of a panic attack more often.

That is exactly what happened to me, and it seemed like I was having them more often.

RottenWillow said:

Are you saying that my fear of a heart attack is causing panic attacks? I think there is a bit of truth to it. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac (not in the clinical sense). I worry about various ailments (especially heart attacks). I think I worry to the point that I finally release all of the fear in the form of a panic attack.

Off the topic, Frisky, is that you in your avatar? If so, you're smoking. The photographer did a good job too. One day I would like to be able to take pictures like that.

Top Bottom